Install files for hp ux

ok im not exactly a unix expert but i purchased a workstation online it has hp ux 11i on it and i would like to make a cd for hp ux 11i is there a way at all to copy the installation files to a cd... im not exaclty sure where the instalation files might be but thats what i was also hoping that you all might be able to help me with... where and what might be there names ..... thanks
BB

I don't think that there is an easy way do this. HP does have a package called ignite-ux that can be used to clone systems. It can make a bootable recovery tape and this tape can be booted on another system and used to completely install the OS. I have done this and it works, even if the user interface is a bit clunky. But I have been scanning the docs and I see no support for bootable CD's. Still this might be a starting point.

If you have ignite, it would be in /opt/ignite. If that is not there, you can download ignite for free from this page.

Yeah i purchased the system and it works fine, but when i went to mount the cd for the first time the cd would not mount, i mounted a regular cd withought any problems so its not the cdrom drive here is the command that i used
mount -F hfs /dev/dsk/C1t2d0 /SD_ROM

The -F hfs says that you have a cd with an hfs filesystem on it. HP will do that with install media so that they can squeeze cdfs out of the install kernel. That is very non-standard and no non-HP CD would be wriiten like that. Try -F cdfs instead.

well this is what i think its says can not remember off the top of my head but here goes

unreadable media or unable to read from drive, or unrecognized file system, from /dev/dsk/xxxxx but when i mount a regular cd with the cdfs file system it works fine and on the hp ux cd it even says the it is HFS, and i have tryed to use the cdfs and it made no diffrence

Thanks
BB

Should i be able to read the cd from a widows based system because i am unable to it reads the lable of the cd but i am unable to browse it the label says somthing like HPPS somthing like that im not sure exactly

thanks
bb

I would be amazed if a windows system could read an hfs encoded cd, but I am not a windows expert.

Yeah i was sure it would not i think im just going to bring it into work and see if i can read it here on the server....

ok here is what it give me

# /home/root/mount.sh
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0: unrecognized file system
#

Bbutler,

If you are having problems with ANY HPUX specific questions. There is a very good HP website www.itrc.hp.com

That is their forum for HPUX questions. Although Perderabo has done a good job in diagnosing your problem.

There is another command that you should try "pfs_mount". Do a man on it.

I have had to use this with some Vendor CDs namely EMC cdroms. For some reason, some CDs are created with alternate formats that pfs_mount can read.

Try this and get back to me.

Here is some of the man page.

root> man pfs_mount
Block Cache
This cache holds raw 8k blocks of recently accessed data.

EXAMPLES
To mount a CD-ROM disk:

pfs_mount /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0 /cd-rom

To mount a remote file system:

pfs_mount serv:/cd-rom /cd-rom

To fake an entry for iso9660 on /cd-rom:

pfs_mount -f -t iso9660 /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0 /cd-rom

To hard mount a remote file system:

pfs_mount -o hard serv:/cd-rom /cd-rom

This the output and the command that i used

# pfs_mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /SD_ROM
pfs_mount: giving up on /SD_ROM

tryed it a couple of diffrent ways.. but still no luck, i think its time to purchase a new cd this one has seen better days.... thanks for all of your help

BB

login guest
password guest

device name
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0
mount point SD_ROM

will be open for about twenty minutes

all is fun with old machines

ok its closed now

Isn't the mount point "SD_CDROM", not "SD_ROM"?
It looks to my untrained eye to be complaining about the mount point, not the filesystem.

have mounted to both and still does not work

# mount -F hfs /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /SD_CDROM
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0: unrecognized file system

# pfs_mount /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /SD_CDROM
pfs_mount: giving up on /SD_CDROM

i appreciate everyones help though i think this cd is bad... but i sure did learn alot about mounting cd's
BB

I don't know if this will shed any light, but have you tried:
fstyp /dev/dsk/c1t2d0
?

It's a long shot...

will let you know when i get home from work tonight..

# fstyp /dev/dsk/c1t2d0
unknown_fstyp (no matches)

ok now im guessing here but this commad was to identify the file system type of the cd....

Thanks again...
BB