Im New To This Forum........

I will like to get a first hand tour about this forum also a little information about sun solaris.....please:D

Solaris (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you want to know? :slight_smile:

Do you already have access to a system or are you trying to install on a machine of your own?

two things i would like to get a hold of the software because i went to the UPS DB2 system today for a tour and i saw that they use sun microsystem computer and was told that they are very good OS so ill like to know about it......:wink:

another question, I upgraded my pc from xp to vista ultimate and now that i read up on solaris systems is it posible that i can upgrade to solaris on my vista ultimate system but instead of taking vista off can i use partition to have solaris and vista on my pc at the same time?

Solaris Operating System - Get Solaris 10

Then you need some hardware to run it on. Make sure you download what you need, don't get a DVD iso if your machine only has a CD-ROM drive.

my pc is fully equipted.....dual core, intel pentium 4hd processor, 2.80Ghz, 80GB, triple boost cd/dvd/+-RW, and i use my 30GB ipod as an external drive to store and run multiple programs. Also what antivirus software is better to use AVG or BIT Defender?

I thought you were asking about Solaris....

The best system to play with is one you can trash and not care about, don't play with things like this on a system you cannot afford to lose the data of or have an outage with.

ok thanks for the info....but yeah i am asking about solaris thats y i asked if i can have installed on my pc by using partition magic......

You can do, but is that wise?

When playing with a new operating system I follow a standard pattern...

1. make sure I have all the media to build the box from scratch

2. make sure there is no information on the box that I need to keep

3. document my steps as I build the system

4. test the system

5. if things aren't how I wanted, I often go back to the begining again

So you may have a system that is out of action for a number of days.

Similarly, if you are trying to set up dual booting and you make a mistake you can trash all partitions on the machine.

I run Solaris on a very old Sparc lunchbox, precisely because I don't care if I have to rebuild it. Solaris-10 386 also happily runs on my 300Mhz 686 box with 256Mb RAM. But choose the network card carefully.

ok well ill definitely will take your advice an not try that but what i have thats old is a windows 98 but it needs a boot disk which i got but its for the second edition because i cant find any for 98 so if i do fine any ill use that pc but as of now imma have to get some use one from somewhere esle......but thanks for all ur info i added u as my buddy.....KEEP ME POSTED WITH ANY NEW PROGRAMS, OS, OR OPEN SOURCE APPS k

Not quite sure what you mean by that, you would be sunk if we bombarded you with every tidbit that floats around the net.

well to more i know about technology to better for me.....cuz thats my field im in my bba Computer Information Systems.....so yeah send me info on things that you may think thats needy for me.........

I suggest that you monitor sites on the net that interest you, for example this site, "slashdot.org" is another site of current topical interest. As you start following links you will build up a picture of what information is available on the net, and what you want to keep in touch with.

ok an once again thanks.......by the way do u know any telnet programs that are for free because for the longest ive been trying to build a site but i was only thought the basics of it and ill like to be advanced in it you know.....by the way check one of my collegeaus site www.alterdgenetics.com he is more advance in web designing while im good in the multimedia directing "movie making, editing, etc" the good thing about it is i can get powered by him on his server but still ill to learn how to make em'

Telnet is included with most operating systems these days.

well i never noticed it on my pc and at the moment im on campus when i get home ill check and see if its there......but is it possible that u can assist me in creating my site? or is it too much to ask ?

Did you go to a command prompt and type "telnet"?

Who is hosting your site? How are they serving it? How do you update the content?

alteredgenetics will host, serve and update my content do u have a server ?