if returns "unknown test operator"

Greetings, using ksh on Solaris, I am trying to identify the current version of a package installed on multiple servers using if statement in a precursor to upgrading.
I have searched the forums and have found many hits, reviewed 3 pages and have tried the different variations noted there. Also checked the site, Bourne/Korn Shell Coding Conventions at OpenSolaris.org to validate operators and syntax, yet I am not getting this to work.
I have tried the following variations and all return some error, most commonly:

ksh: 1.11: unknown test operator
no

Am I missing something simple?

if [ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" = 1.11 ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" eq 1.11 ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" eq "1.11" ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" -eq "1.11" ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [[ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" -eq "1.11" ]]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [ echo "\"`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`\"" -eq "1.11" ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

"=" is for comparing strings so running a set of commands that pulls out the version number thus:

if [ "`string of command to get version number`" = "1.11" ]; then

should be okay.
I don't know why you have an echo.

"-eq" compares integer numbers so could not compare 1.11 with anything.

I am not sure of any shell that would accept "eq" instead of "-eq"?

TFM - the echo is just for my precursor test, I will fill with exit or pkgrm and pkgadd based on results.
As for the syntax with = and "1.11", I am still getting the error with the following 2 other attempts:

if [ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`" = "1.11" ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

if [ echo "\"`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`\"" = "1.11" ]
then
echo yes
else
echo no
fi

For comparison, here are the results of the separate commands on my test server:

$ echo "`pkginfo -x \`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'`"

I figured it out after checking another one of my test using commands. Since I am echo the command results, I actually need to capture the echo as my command and test that. So, more capture the echo command and escape the commands within the echo.

$ if [ `echo "\`pkginfo -x \\\`pkginfo | grep libiconv | awk '{print $2}'\\\` | grep sparc | awk '{print $2}'\`"` = 1.11 ] ;then echo yes; else echo no;fi
yes