Ideas for site migration: How would you do it? LAMP -> something w/ Sql Server

I'm afraid I'm going to have to migrate our entire website from Linux. There have been a number of irregularities in our MySQL database and the system that we have set up -probably isn't scalable.

Since my manager is re-envisioning (taking the moment to re-engineer) -he wants to move the database from MySQL to SQL Server 2008.

The problem for me now -since I am the "front end" is how to adapt our existing infrastructure (for however long it exists) from MySQL to SQL Server.

We are running Linux PHP 5.0 for now.

Q1: Is it possible to host SQL Server on another server; and migrate all the MySQL calls from our Website to the new server? If so, where can I read about how to do that?

Q2: Should I just forgo trying to maintain our current Linux website and migrate our entire website to Windows Server?

The reason I want to do Q1 is to avoid Q2 but only if it makes sense and is less problematic etc.

If the way you're using mysql isn't scalable, what makes you think doing the exact same thing with mssql will be scalable? It may be your algorithms, database structure, etc, etc. that need changing, not the backend.

I suspect changing backends without improving the software is a recipe for disappointment.

1 Like

Well, if he just wants to move the database to SQL Server 2008, why not use Sybase on Linux? After all, SQL Server is derived from Sybase. Other database options include Postgres and the other Ingres derivatives. All of these have proven scalability.

1 Like

For the record; it's not MySQL which isn't scalable it's our whole system. We are migrating it in parts. The first part to go is MySQL... someone else is making the decisions on what to do and I have little say in it.

I love the idea on Sybase it's just that my boss (who doesn't make mistakes) has already hired someone to create a duplicate database in SQL Server and now I'm stuck with figuring out how to get our existing system to work with it (if it can be done).

Honestly, who knows if I will be here long enough to ask other questions...

Have a look at FreeTDS

1 Like

Try switching to mssql_ calls instead of mysql_ calls. That's about all I can reccomend.

1 Like