IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz

Hi ,

I am planing to buy IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz but I am confused with few things. I would be happy if you could clear it up for me ?

1.Do I have to buy some license in order to create Lpars ?
2.Do I have to buy some license in order to use HMC , micro - partiocioning , VIOS server , dynamic virtual. ?

or I just buy that IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 and I will be able to go without spending extra money for licenses?
I would like to use it for my personal purposes (try out creating Lpars , dynamic virtual .. etc. and learn something of it).

Thanks for your answers in advance :wink:

Hello phobus

This is an entry level model of server you need to check first if you can use HMC with this model, I think not in the entry level model you use IVM is something like HMC.

The vios and partitioning I think you can do this but I dont how many lpars you can create because there are differente types of licences for this. If you need to buy this licences. The server is used right ? Then when you buy the server maybe could bring the licences (cds).

Other thing is you dont have support for Ibm unless you buy it.

Check this links

IBM System p5 185 Express

IBM Power Systems PowerVM Editions

I hope can help this

Hi lo-lp-kl ,
Thanks for your answer.
That model supports HMC , I downloaded from redbook IBM IntelliStation POWER 285 Technical Overview and Introduction and it supports everything what I need.
But I will have to buy standard edition of PowerVM from the link which you gave me.

Hi phobus,
Have you checked the POD site to see if your system already has a VM licence?
https://www-912.ibm.com/pod/pod

Hi Dukessd ,

I don't own that mashine yet , and I asked seller about that code and he told me that IBM does not sell PowerVM license for workstations IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285.