IBM-AIX and TCP/IP Problem

I am having a problem and I feel it's network related. I have an RS6000 running AIX. I use a terminal emulation program that allows me to connect to my server via TCP/IP. When I try and make the connection, it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get a login prompt on the screen.

I also cannot ftp to this server from my pc. Any ideas what is wrong?

The RS6000 cannot do a reverse dns look-up for your pc. You need to fix your pc's reverse dns entry.

I have no idea what you are talking about. We have never had to perform any function on the workstation that connect via TCP/IP other than configure the terminal emulation software that we use. It basically opens up a telnet session and returns a login prompt to the screen. When I initiate a telnet session and telnet to the server's assigned IP address, it takes about a minute before the login prompt is returned to the screen.

If I go to the MS-DOS prompt on any of the workstations that are connected to the network, and type ftp 192.168.1.150 (which is the ip address of the server) it says connecting... but never returns a ftp login prompt.

We have only 1 network and all devices are on 192.168.1.xxx address scheming so I don't think it's a problem with the address.

Sign on your your RS6000. Use the command
"nslookup 111.222.333.444"
but using the ip address of your pc. This will try to find the hostname of your pc. When you login, the system does this. It has your IP address and it wants your hostname for logging purposes. Ditto for ftp, but some ftp servers reject a connect if they fail.

Use our search function. Look up "reverse dns ftp". This is a somewhat frequently asked question.