IBM AIX 5.3 Display

Hi, all! I am new in IBM AIX 5.3.

I tried to activate graphical display when connected to my UNIX server.

1) I downloaded Putty to connect to my UNIX server.
2) Then I downloaded Xming and installed it. After that I installed Xming fonts.
3)Then I downloaded AIX fonts and put them into xming fonts directory.
4) Then I edited xming font-dirs file and file content now is following:

# font-dirs
# comma-separated list of directories to add to the default font path
# defaults are built-ins, misc, TTF, Type1, 75dpi, 100dpi
# also allows entries on individual lines
C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\dejavu,C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\cyrillic,C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\IBMAIX
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

5) Then I run Putty using option - Enable X11 forwarding (checked the box in Putty)
6) When I run xming and connected to server and tried command: DISPLAY=85.254.xxx.xxx
then use echo $DISPLAY and it says me my ip - 85.254.xxx.xxx.
Then I export DISPLAY and use command xterm and have following error:
" Can't open display: 85.254.xxx.xxx"
If I try to set DISPLAY 85.254.xxx.xxx:0.0 then I have following error:
"Xlib: connection to "85.254.xxx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 85.254.xxx.xxx:0.0"

HOW can I set display and work with it, am I doing something wrong?
PLEASE HELP!

Best regards, Debuger!

This looks like a permission problem if you are sure that your local Xserver is up and running. Running a Xserver on a host usually needs to be permitted so that clients can access it.
Ony Unix/Linux and Cygwin you have to issue the command xhost + for example, to allow any host to use the local Xserver to display the output of the Xapplication.
I do not know Xming since I am using the Xserver from Cygwin on my Windows box, but I guess there should be some similar security filter for which host can connect to your Xserver.

I found this, which seems there comes a xhost with Xming:
Xming - PC X Server - Trouble?

Hi, Zaxxon! I tried:

"bash-3.00$ xhost +85.254.xxx.xxx
Xlib: connection to "85.254.xxx.xxx:0.0" refused by server

1356-200 xhost unable to open display "85.254.xxx.xxx:0""

Where I am wrong? :frowning: I try to resolve my problem some days. Hope You can help

Best regards, Debuger!

---------- Post updated at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 AM ----------

Info from Xming log file:

Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\dejavu, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\cyrillic, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, removing from list!

Maybe that is the problem?

Please do use code tags when. A short explanation is above in the moderator comment I added to your previous post.

As said, I do not know Xming. You might have to check the error messages with Google to sort them out or maybe use X/Cygwin for example.

Is that prompt with the

bash-3.00$ xhost +85.254.xxx.xxx

your AIX box?? Or is it a third box, maybe a Linux box??
xhost has to be issued on the machine that is running the Xserver. In your case I thought, that is your Windows machine regarding the former description.

To make it clear:

• Box A is your AIX box where the application is you want to start and use via X, let's say xclock
  • Box W is your Windows box, where that Xming Xserver software is running to display and interface the data being send from/to from your box A.
  • Box W needs a running X server which is your Xming. When it is started, you have to use something like xhost to allow remote Clients, which is in terms of X11 this Box A, so that it can send it's graphical data to display the xclock application in our little example to Box W.
    In short, Box W needs the xhost or a similar permission filter being issued, not Box A!
  • When permissions are set with xhost , you can export the DISPLAY on box A where the X application resides, which you want to execute.
  • Now you are ready to issue xclock on box A and it should be displayed on Box W.
1 Like

Xming is running on my PC. When I use

xhost

on my W machine then I have error:

Xlib: connection to "85.254.xxx.xxx:0.0" refused by server

1356-200 xhost unable to open display "85.254.xxx.xxx:0"

X/Cygwin is similar to Xming? Can You give full step by step instructions how to use it? And it would work to my IBM AIX 5.3?

Best regards, Debuger!

For Xming I found this with Google, which points to our forum here :slight_smile:

... and this one could be also helpful for you:
Cannot connect to Cygwin or XMing from Debian SSH session

For X/Cygwin:
Cygwin is a complete Linux like environment for Windows with shells, tools etc.. X is just a part of it while there is a kind of distribution being called "X/Cygwin" of Cygwin available too.

I got the "normal" plain Cygwin installed. For this I have downloaded the setup.exe from Cygwin and did nearly a plain install but the fact, that I added following things in the X11 folder you see when executing the setup in some step:

• xorg-server
  • xorg-scripts
  • xhost
  • xterm
  • X-start-menu-icons
  • All packages that started with "font..."

After the installation there is for example D:\cygwin\bin\startxwin.exe which I just have as a link on my desktop. When I start it, a xterm is opened and I enter xhost+ . That's all and I then go to the remote host where I want to start the Xapplication, export the DISPLAY with the Win-box as target as you did.

1 Like

Thanks! I found in my ssh_config file that lines:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalhost yes

isn't what they would be. And I want to edit ssh_config. But this file is read only, how can I change permission to write and edit?

Best regards, Debuger!

You should only be able to edit them as root. To have the changes taken into effect, restart the sshd:

stopsrc -s sshd
startsrc -s sshd