HPUX 11.23 PHKL_31500 cannot install

This has to be a common problem with 11.23. I cannot get PHKL_31500 (sept 04) to install on my hpux system. it wants to have previous patch PHKL_31151 (Aug 04) installed, but all the Patches from ITRC uses the upreved patches and wont install the PHKL_31151.

I know I can force the install, but I think that what happened to the other 11.23 system I have and now, I cannot install patches on that, because of kernel problems.

Any suggestions (other then quit using 11.23) on how to get the kernel straightened out? Yes, I have downloaded the Sept 04 patch QP patch bundle but those kernel patches also get deselected because of dependency issues.

I'm not a HP-UX expert but I believe you are correct (it's a common problem) and I have heard this one before. I believe it's a issue (bug) with the checkinstall script. However, I don't know the fix.

Read this:

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community - Re: Failing to patch - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community

Hopefully some HP-UX expert on here will give you a more definitive reponse.

1 Like

When you install the QPK bundle, how do you do it ?
What kind of kernel issues are you having ?
Can you post commands your are issuing ?

A procedure should consist of :

1. Ignite backup of server or a DRD clone.
  2. swcopy QPK downloaded depot to a repository (any hpux box)
  3. On the server you wish to patch you issue swinstall -x autoreboot=true -s hostname:/somepath/yourqpk \*

System will reboot after patching and hopefully boot up.

If not either boot from drd disk or restore ignite backup via network.
One could try to boot in single user to check for logs and debug.

I have never experienced hpux boxes not booting after patching with qpks.
But i do take ignite backup, and test restore scenarios.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

1 Like

Come to find out, during initial install you have to install the initial 11.23 Aug patch set first then install the 11.23 Sept patch set to get past this problem. So yeah, had to reload, re-patch and re-patch so now its working. Whereas on 11.31, HP corrected this 11.23 feature with the patch sets.
Thank you all.