HP-UX Network Configuration

Hi,

I have installed a HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800 Server in one of the domain. And I'm also able to telnet/ping into this server from systems in the same domain.

But I'm not able to telnet/ping into this server from a different domain.

So, what shoud need to do to achieve this functionality.

Thanks in Advance

Vishwa.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "different domain". Can you ping the box by IP adress but not by name? Then you have a dns problem and you need to add the HP into your dns entries.

If you are using not using DNS and pinging with the hostname, you really need an entry in your /etc/hosts file for each host on both systems to ping both ways.

If your company is using DNS then you can check your /etc/resolv.conf file and see what is in there. Please print here if you can. This may be where you problem lies, because you need to have a nameserver defined here as well as your domain. The first line should say "domain abc.com " where abc.com is your host's complete domainname like myhost.abc.com.

Also, Try ping with the IP address instead. You should be able to do this.

sounds like you need to add a route to the other network domain

check out route add this can also be done through sam on hp-ux

use netstat -rn on a machine on the network and add the route entries to the machine you have.

Kie

Here is the more info regarding the configuration.

LAB consists of all the machines with IP range falling under xxx.xxx.71.nn. The HP-UX machine falls under this Range.

Our workstations falls under xxx.xxx.37.nn.

I'm able to ping all machines & vice-versa in the xxx.xxx.71.nn domian with my HP-UX machine.

Also, all systems from xxx.xxx.37.nn can ping to all systems in xxx.xxx.71.nn & vice-versa but other than this HP-UX machine.

I'm trying all this ping & telnet using IP address only.

I have also configured the DNS for this HP-UX machine using sam. ie. it has created the resolv.conf with the appropriate DNS entries that I did specify.

But still I'm not able to resolve or communicate from the workstation.

Do I need to introduce an entry regarding this HP-UX machine into the DNS server Forcefully ?????????

I would like to enlight on this that currently I'm using only IP address for communication & not the Hostname.

Since I have updated the DNS configuration on the HP-UX machine, If I telnet to this system from with in xxx.xxx.71.nn machine, it take a very long time to open the login session. If I remove the DNS configuration from the HP-UX machine, then telnet from other machines from the same IP range is absolutely faster.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support.
Especially I would like to thank KIE for his near reach for the solution.

The system did not had an route entre. That was the problem.
Know after setting the same..things are working fine.

But I did'nt find any option to sent the Gateway through SAM.
Then I did choose the command line option & did that successfully.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

Vishwa.

You really want to arrange for the route to be automatically installed at reboot time. That way you won't need to keep adding it in. You do this by adding it to /etc/rc.config.d/netconf. There are commnets in that file that will tell you what to do.