HP-UX & Linux

Hello there!

Is Sun Microsystems ready to loose hands on HP-UX in the favor of fast emerging Linux? As HP-UX is very costly both in terms of processor licences and hardware costs.

Responses are more than welcome!

JAM

Is Intel based Unix ready to be accepted by our managers ?

Maybe that should be your question.

Sun beats in support, not in price. Maybe they have set a step in the right direction now.

Still there is quiet a war to fight with MS. Some do not understand the war.

Regs David

sun makes solaris. hp makes hp-ux.

"Still there is quiet a war to fight with MS. HP doesn't understand the war."

regardless of political issues, and the feelings held by members of this board, (sometimes my self included) it dosnt matter if there is a 'war' or not. some people dont have a choice as to what they are running at work, and this site is here to help everyone regardless of what version of unix they are using, or what version of windows they are using with unix.

You're right Norsk,
I just edit my text. I indeed prefer a specific OS. Others have other preferences. It is a statementent however that some liase with Windows others are in a war with Windows.

But indeed, it's not worth fighting for in a forum.

Regs David

Hello There!

I am extremely sorry for asking a wrong question. It became wrong due to some typographic mistake. I know for sure that Solaris is made by Sun and HP-UX is a product of Hewlett Packard.

What I was really asking is that whether open source strategies are making inroads to these big proprietary vendors as IBM, Sun, HP, Dell etc. This is because companies are quickly becoming aware of the obvious benefits of using open source operating systems than closed source ones.

Thanks

JAM