hp-ux 10.20 boot issue

Hello, have HP Visualize C3600 workstation. Issue is as follows:

When I attempt to boot, unit will not boot successfully and will halt at a menu, the same menu as when during a boot one hits any key within 10 seconds to discontinue. When I attempt to boot with Boot primary, both with IPL interaction and not, system shows following:

Booting ... Boot IO dependent code (IODC) revision 0
IPL error: bad LIF magic: not a valid LIF volume.
Error reading IPL.

and goes back to menu.

From menu:
When I do a path primary system shows Primary Boot Path: FWSCSI.6.0
When I do a path alternate system shows Alternate Boot Path: SCSI.6.0

In configuration portion of menu, when I do a search IPL system shows following:

Search for device(s) with bootable media ...
No devices found.

Prior to this issue when I did a search IPL system would show Path# P0, Device Path FWSCSI.6.0, Device Type & Untilities HP36.4GMAN3367MC (which I assume is the hard drive) and IPL

Since I cannot use boot primary with IPL interaction to attempt to debug issue, as system returns to menu, what is next step?

This is a very high priority. Expeditious response is needed and appreciated.

DJ

No CDROM installed?
What puzzles me is :
Primary Boot Path: FWSCSI.6.0
Alternate Boot Path: SCSI.6.0

FWSCSI and SCSI are not much friends...
Alternate Boot Path: SCSI.6.0

I would have expected something alike:
disk 9 8/12.5.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST34573WC
/dev/dsk/c0t5d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0
disk 10 8/12.8.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST34572WC
/dev/dsk/c0t8d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t8d0
disk 11 8/16/5.2.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0
(8/12 ->FWSCSI , 8/16 onboard SCSI)

Hello, System has CDROM.

Do you have a support plus CD?
The last one (archive CD) is december 2001, for HP visualize workstations 5012-0012

No, I do not. And there is no backup image. There is a second workstation that was supposedly configured the same and does boot. Can an image of root or more than root be made from the bootable workstation and copied on to the non-bootable workstation, even though I cannot interact with IPL on the non-bootbable workstation, to boot the workstation?

There has to be a way for me to gain access to the non-bootable system in a similar way to IPL?

Thanks.

It sounds like your disk went bad. You may need a new one. When you can't boot the hard drive, the alternative is to boot the cd drive. This means that you need that support cd and/or the installation media. No bootable harddrive and no cd to boot from? Not sure what to tell you to try. :confused:

Well,
If the disk is only non bootable, you could try to mount it on the other WS, and look at the LIF to see if it can be rescued - or - if the disk is the same size (or bigger but you will loose the difference) do a dd of the WS disk to the bad disk
This I did some times...
You would then have to go through configuring the workstation all again (users, IP, etc...)

But if the disk is non-bootable, and I mount it on the other workstation, it would still not be bootable if the LIF is corrupt as the LIF is resident on the disk? Please explain?

Thanks.

I was thinking of using mkboot and lifcp...
But I got a better idea...
Try to get your DDS on the other WS and try to make an ignite tape with make_recovery command, you can then boot from that tape on your bad WS...
But unfortunately without support CD to see the state of your disk, I dont know to what point this makes sence... perhaps its worth the try...

At the PDC prompt did u run cmd `sea ipl` or `sea isl` to find out the potential boot devices. If this disk is not seen then shutdown ur system and try refixing the disk and do the above mentioned again. Or Else may be the SCSI controller to which ur disk is connected is a problem. So Connect this disk to other system and do ioscan -fnC disk and chk whether this disk is getting detected.
If the above fails and u don't have ignite or backup then I am sorry. It's a disaster.
If the disk is getting detected and still the problem persists then It's for sure that the LIF volume is corrupted. Do POST and with results. We can try to find a solun.

That may be an option. I have never used make_recovery but understand it to be a part of Ignite-UX? How would I know whether I have Ignite-UX on the other workstation? If not, how do I get a copy of the CD for HP-UX 10.20? Maybe HP?

Also, per our prior dialogue, tape drive was located at /dev/rmt/0m. What are the typical locations for floppy, CD-ROM, and hard drive? I believe that this system has /dev/floppy/c0t1d0 for floppy, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 for CD-ROM, and /dev/dsk/c3t6d0 for hard drive? Does this make sense i.e. both CD-ROM and hard drive at /dev/dsk/. What is the definition of, for example, c0t0d0 i.e. what is the c0, t0, and d0 stand for?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and thank you.

I do not understand a couple of things in your post:

1 "at the PDC prompt", not sure what PDC prompt is, I typed "sea IPL" in configuration portion of menu
2 "try refixing the disk", not sure what that means

I just tried "sea ISL" (this option does not exist in configuration area of menu) and system returned following:

ERROR: Unknown device
Search Table has been cleared.

I also tried "sea" and interesting enough the system returned the following:

Path number Device path Device type
P0 LAN <address> <address> 100/Full Dx
P1 IDE LITE-ON LTR-24102B
P2 SCSI.2.0 HP C1537A
P3 FWSCSI.6.0 HP 36.4GMAN3367MC

So one question is why does "sea IPL" return "No devices found" and "sea" returns above?

Thanks in advance.

And what does bo p3 give you now?

Hello and thank you.

When I type "bo p3" system returns:

ERROR: Not a boot path

When I type "bo fwscsi.6.0" system returns:

IPL error: bad LIF magic: not a valid LIF volume

When I type "sea p3" system returns:

ERROR: Unknown device

When I type "sea fwscsi.6.0" system returns:

Path Number Device Path Device Type
P0 FWSCSI.6.0 HP 36.4GMAN3367MC

Thanks in advance.

If you can find a way for me to do a transfer of 55MB by http (mad firewalls here) I have something that might interrest you:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 vbe bin 54036480 Feb 3 2004 Ignite-UX-10-20_B.4.4.30_HP-UX_B.11.00_32+64.depot

Hello and thank you. I am not sure how to retrieve the file? 55MB is too big for incoming mail and I cannot use ftp. Can you compress it as a gzip file? If so, it may be small enough to e-mail. If so, how do I give you an e-mail address in private? I read somewhere that the Ignite-UX version for 10.20 is B.5.4? Also, I spoke to a couple of HP-UX consultants and they said that if I had the core os cd then there are tools on it that may restore the LIF? How can I acquire the core os cd? Third party? I could not locate it on-line and HP does not sell it anymore. Workstations had 10.20 pre-installed when purchased.

Is there anybody out there that is local to Orlando Fl that would be interested in consulting on this issue and that has access to the tools. This could be a secondary avenue should the above not occur for some reason.

Any and all assistance needed and appreciated.

Hello. On HP's website it states that the last release for Ignite-UX
for 10.20 was A.3.7.x in June 2002. How do I locate this (or earlier?)version? I attempted to acquire from HP but they stated that they will not support the 10.20 environment.

My understanding is that an Ignite-UX B.x runs on HP-UX 11.0 and 11i and can install HP-UX 10.20, 11.0, and 11i OS and applications on target systems. An Ignite-UX A.x server runs on HP-UX 10.x and can only install HP-UX 10.x software on target systems.

Any and all assistance wholly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello and thank you. I acquired Core Media for 10.20 and am working on some of the restore issues using the core OS CD. CD-ROM now mounts.

On the application CD there is Ignite-UX. Can somebody guide me through the installation process i.e. I presume that the swinstall command is required. My concern is whether there is anything special that I must do or be aware of during installation.

Thanks in advance. It is greatly appreciated.