HP iLO using DHCP & Default Password

Hi, I have two questions about HP system iLO:

(1) The <HP iLO 2 User Guide> says "Configure the IP address: This step is necessary only if you are using a static IP address. When using dynamic IP addressing, your DHCP server will automatically assign an IP address for iLO 2. HP recommends using DNS or DHCP with iLO 2 to simplify installation".

Everyone knows DHCP assigns IPs. But how can I know what IP the DHCP server assigns to the iLO? I can't connect to the iLO without knowing its IP first.

(2) The <HP iLO 2 User Guide> says "The default values are:
� User name�Administrator
� Password�A random, eight-character, alphanumeric string
� DNS Name�ILOXXXXXXXXXXXX, where the Xs represent the serial number of the server"

I don't get it again. What is the default password?

Thank you in advance!

Ad 1) When asking for a DHCP address, the iLO tells the server its hostname, and requests that this name be entered in the DNS server. If this is successful, it can be reached through this name.
Ad 2) The password is indeed random, and printed on a little cardboard card attached to the server (usually one of the power supplies)

Then how can I find the iLO name from OS such as Linux?

If the password note is missing, how to logon?

Thank you!

If you're on the server itself, you can get the serial using either hpasmcli (if the HP utilities are installed) or sometimes through dmidecode . Or by looking at the machine itself, the serial is on a sticker (mostly CZ...)

As for the password issue: I think you can access the Onboard Administrator by using the F8 key while starting the BIOS without a password, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

dmidecode will show iLO's IP or DNS name?

Thanks.

Neither. It will show the serial number which, as you wrote in the top post yourself, is used to construct the default DNS name.

I've figured it out.

(1) If the iLO uses DHCP, its DNS name can be resolved by DDNS service - dynamic DNS.

(2) If the iLO uses static DHCP, you should know its IP and DNS name got from BIOS configuration.