How to transfer file from Local PC to UNIX Directory without FTP?

Dear All,
i am trying to get the file from windows location to unix location without using FTP and neither thru entering the user id and password. I have one unix form which is running on web application and user is entering the location and file name there now i know the file name and path. So i just need that file in my unix location for further processing.
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Would this approach help?
Let me google that for you

Perhaps you should use an account that is specifically for this purpose and ensure the password does not change. You should be able to code this in /etc/fstab or whatever your system uses to mount filesystems at boot time.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Thnks robin but it wont help me as the client user can be many so we cannot hard coding the user id and password it wont help.
there is command sendunix i search for this, even this didn't worked

Could you create a central place on windows that users could put their file, or perhaps link it together? If the user tries to write the file to c:\my_files_for_unix, you can redirect that to write to a LAN drive such as L:\my_files_for_unix. If this is actually mounted from \\main_server\all_user_files\my_user then you could mount the higher directory from unix and if the user name is part of the application's request, then you will know which sub-directory to look in.

So, if we consider user John, there is the user on Windows will need to map to \\main_server\all_user_files\John and be directed to write files there. On the unix side, if you mount main_server\all_user_files to /user_files, then when the application request from John comes in, the file you need to pick up should be in /user_files/John

Does that give you an option?

Robin

thnx robin but i hv just manage to transfer file from user desktop (web application) to unix thru following command

sendunix -a -d ./ C:/temp/ file name
1 Like

Thanks for posting a solution in case anyone else has the same issue.

Robin

Where did you get this 'sendunix' command? What protocol does it use? I can't find any information on it.

my friend has shared the code with for transferring file from pc to unix pls see below

sendunix -a -d ./ C:/temp/

The code you posted is no help to anyone:

C:\Documents and Settings\user> sendunix
'sendunix' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

What this 'sendunix' is and where it came from is what I'm wondering. There's not a generic UNIX 'send' program, you have to use some sort of protocol. It may be a batch file or custom program your friend built for you, or some sort of toolkit you installed, and knowing what it actually does would be very valuable to you.