How to restore from disk?

Our new rx2800 server is running HP-UX 11iV3. We have a cron script to perform an fbackup to a file on disk nightly. Now I'm trying to do a test restore, but I can't seem to find the correct way to specify the backup file as the source in frecover. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Joe

I haven't used those commands, just to say upfront.

But when i opened the manual, HP suggested that pax should be used instead for archiving purpose.

With pax, stuff should be fairly obvious, if you run into issues or question about it, feel free to post the code you tried here to get some help.

There are also a lot of examples on this forums involving pax

As for fbackup , nothing is stopping you to experiment a bit, doesn't it :slight_smile:

Hope that clears things out
Regards
Peasant.

Interesting. When I ready the administration guides I don't see a mention of pax. The instructions are all for frestore, but all examples are for a DDS tape drive.

Joe

What are you trying to archive ?

The operating system ?
A directory, files ?

If you need to archive a directory with pax to another location it's simple as :

cd /directory/to/backup &&
[ -d /mybackuplocation ] && pax -wf /mybackuplocation/backup.tar .

Which can be scheduled in cron and error handled more perhaps.

For restoring a file, one should issue a command :

pax -rvf /mybackuplocation/backup.tar -n './somefile.py'

Which will restore a file 'somefile.py' to current working directory.

For operating system backup, ignite software should be used or a drd clone if you have spare disks.

Hope that helps.
Regards
Peasant.

The OS is HP-UX 11iV3. And there may be a terminology issue here. I say 'backup' and you say 'archive'. What I have is a cron that runs fbackup every night and creates a backup file of a production file system on a secondary disk. The backup file is called 'backup'. Since fbackup was used to create the file, I've made the assumption I would use frestore to restore any files and/or directories that may be needed. This is a new/upgraded system and I'm simply trying to update documentation so I can make use of the backup file if necessary. I already know how to restore from tape.
Thanks,
Joe

What i offered was an alternative to (as man page says) a obsolete tools to backup data to tar file.

Other then that, i haven't used tools you mentioned, so i cannot suggest.

Regards
Peasant.