How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello,

This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming.

I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who has machines with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3. He is unable to run the application.

For 12.3, libstdc++.so.5 is not installed and not in the installation media, at least not where he can find it. For 11.3, he is getting the error message, /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found. I need to advise him on how to fix the issue of missing dependencies.

Can someone here advise about how to install the missing dependencies on 12.3 and 11.3, preferable using yast?

That would be a big help, thanks.

LMHmedchem

For opensuse 12.3, install libstdc++33

Trying to run newer software on older OS's is a problem. Usually you want to build low and run high.

It's certainly possible...

One way would likely break his 11.3 OS in many ways... that is, trying to get the newer libraries on the host. If you choose this route, safest way is to isolate the new libraries. This means manual builds or using rpm build overrides so that it won't affect anything, and even then I wouldn't allow the rpm to found in the installed software db.

The other way is back on your end and trying to compile statically so that there are fewer (if any) dependencies. Of course, there's some risks there... so no guarantee.

1 Like

It looks like I am going to be able to go forward with a version compiled on 12.2, so I will probably be able to avoid getting it working on 11.3.

With all the changes to libraries and header files, I have often thought that it would be useful to create some custom libraries and have a more static setup. Even in this case, my app compiles on 12.2, but not 12.3. As far as I can see, the gcc version is the same, so that doesn't make any sense, but it looks like there is something that has been moved in a header file and I get a "no declaration" error for something. I still build allot with gcc3 because it helps to avoid some of those issues.

Thanks again,

LMHmedchem