How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history

some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back.

Restore the file from backup.

I dont have the backup unfortunately,its a newly installed system,
else would have done that.
moreover i want to see, what the other person did in the system that he had to delete the history.

Unfortunately there is no "undelete" in linux. You can try and look into logfiles like messages, audit.log, etc. to find some traces of what has happend.

hhmm.....yes i understand that...thanks a lot...
so there is no solution to this.....one thing can i do something so that it doesn't show rm -rf .bash_history in the current history.....

First run the history command to get a list of lines in the history:

$ history
    1  ./t
    2  ksh93 -c ./t
    3  ksh93 ./t
    4  ksh93 -c ./t
    5  ls
    6  history

then delete the line in question (for example line 5):

history -d 5

but then again....it will show history -d in next history command....
which could indicate someone tampered with history..

If you write a blank before the command, it should not be logged into the history.

---------- Post updated at 14:52 ---------- Previous update was at 14:47 ----------

Forgot to say, you have to set HISTCONTROL=ignorespace to activate this feature.

great...its working.,....thanks...
one more thing after reboot of server.....will it remain the same or does the permanent history from current .bash_history file will come up..

The history file will not be changed by a reboot. The ignore option has to be set every time you want to use it or you put the line into .bashrc .