How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in.

Is it also possible to start the terminal application without having it automatically logging in, and instead require a login to use it?

mbpro -- does that mean you have a MacBook Pro computer?
When you see the 'process completed', this normally indicates that the requested program has completed. Thus, you may have to close the application window and re-initiate the program.

What terminal application are you running? (This may be obvious after you answer the first question.)

If you search on google for process completed osx terminal you will see that this is a common problem and there are many solutions suggested.

Yes, it's a mac. I have an iMac as well.

I meant that I'm not using any terminal application other than the terminal application itself. When I first open it, I see my computer's name, then my account name, then the prompt. I was wondering if it was possible to open the application without it automatically logging in and requiring a username and password.

To get rid of the "Process Completed" message, from the terminal preferences:

Shell -> When the shell exits -> Close if the shell exited cleanly

For the login prompt:

Shell -> Startup (check "Run command" box) -> Type "login" as the "Run command"

edit: Thread renamed and moved to OS X sub-forum.