How to make Multiple partitions in a slice (solaris sparc 10)?

I am using Solaris Sparc 10,and facing some issues.

HD:80gb ; Root = 11gb(currently using) , I have made a parttition in the c0t0d0s2 slice(which is of 60gb & the partition tag is 'usr'),and I have done newfs on -> /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2 which is mounted on /export (having ufs filesystem).

Now the fact is I want to make multiple partitions in the slice /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2.

Device to mount Mount Pnt Size
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2 /export/a or /a 7.5gb
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2 /export/b or /b 7.5gb
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2 /c 6gb

Kindly advice how to resolve this matter.

With Regards
Tirtha

You must bring the slice under solaris volume manager and create soft partitions out of it.

1 Like

It'll be very helpful,if you show the steps......

Maybe you do not care, but traditionally on Solaris SPARC, slice 2, in your case - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2, is assumed to represent the whole disk and a number of utilities assume that this is the case. It's tag is normally backup.

first of all,slice 2 shows entire disk and tagged as backup........to use more slice than 7 slices in solaris you have to use SVM in solaris to create thousand of slices from a particular physical slices...

if u want to learn jst ask me i will provide u info...:):):):slight_smile:

It depends on the disk label whether s2 represents the whole disk depends or not.

SMI Label : s2 represents whole disk
EFI label : s2 is just another slice available for data

As a side note:
S2 is always defined as an "overlap" partition on SMI labeled disk. This way it can span the whole disk while other slices are present as well. On a EFI disk, overlap is not allowed so it's not possible to create slices that span the whole disk and have other slices defined as well.

Indeed. However with an 80G disk and a UFS filesystem, it is more likely to be a SMI label.