How to list files in AIX 3.2 mksysb backup tape

Hi,

Can anyone tell how to list files in a AIX 3.2 mksysb backup tape.

Thanks!
Victor Cheung

To list files on any mksysb tape do the following:

tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3 (This assumes the tape drive is where the mksysb is stored and .1 is the non rewind device the fsf 3 winds the tape past the header information.)

Then

restore -tvqf /dev/rmt0[.1] (for non rewind use the .1)

All of the above assumes that the tape drive characteristics are set to match the way the tape was written too.

You are right when positioning the tape drive. However, AFAIK AIX 3.2 stored mksysb in tar format. So the OP would rather
# tar -tvf /dev/rmt0.1

Hi,

I have got the following error when trying to list the content:

# tctl -f /dev/rmt0.1 fsf 3
# restore -tvqf /dev/rmt0
restore: 0511-123 The volume on /dev/rmt0 is not in backup format.
Mount volume 1 on /dev/rmt0.
Press the Enter key to continue.

# tar -tvf /dev/rmt0
tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; -559038737 not equal to 1726.

Can you please help?

Thanks!!
Victor Cheung

If you accessed the data at the right position and the tape and/or the data on the tape is not damaged itself I could think of a problem with the tape block size. If the person who did the backup was nice, he put it on the tape label. If there is not information about the block size I would configure the tape to use variable block size (0).
Furthermore you could try the -i parameter of tar to skip broken files or use pax that can read tar format but is more forgiving when it comes to archive errors. Also gnu tar from the AIX Linux Toolbox might be worth a try.