How to install PGX32 on Sparc 10 Ultra?

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks. I actually also have an external SCSI QIC-150 tape drive and a bunch of tapes, but I'm still wrestling with getting the system to see the SCSI card (it's an Adaptec AVA-2902E/I). But that's another story :slight_smile: OK, that story is that probe-scsi-all returns nothing.

First though I have to address a cooling issue. It looks like this PGX32 exercise was just too much for the machine's tired old CPU fan and it has now gone to that great tower case in the sky. So we're down until I can replace that. No biggie.

You say that you inherited this machine and that the hard drive is almost full. You have a non-global zone there called bristol-jes which is occupying some space (might be a lot of space).

Zones can be whole root which means that they have ALL the files of a stand-alone system or non-root which means that they share things like libraries with the global zone.

The path of bristol-jes is /data/zones/bristol-jes so take a look in there. Use

du

to see how much space is used.

You could try and boot this other system (zone) using

zoneadm -zbristol-jes boot

You can then login to this other system with command

zlogin -C bristol-jes 

from the global zone (if you know the password).

If you can login then you can look around and figure out what this system does.

You can use

shutdown

or

init 0

to close down this system once logged in or use

zoneadm -zbristol-jes halt 

to stop it abruptly from the global zone.

If you don't need this zone (system) you could delete it using

zonecfg

See your man pages for syntax for all this stuff.

You might be able to release a lot of space.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post updated at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:39 PM ----------

@Michele31416 (OP)......

Having solved the original problem and I'm sure we've created a thread of interest to many in the future, we have wondered off the original subject matter (PGX32) into backup and zones (although to be fair zones was part of the original probem). Before we get fingers smacked by moderators, can I ask them to mark this thread as [solved] and CLOSED?