How to install fedora 13 from a usb media....it should not like 'live'?

im using Dell Inspiron with windows 7 as operating system.....in my hard drive there is some 34 gb unpartitioned space and now i want to install fedora 13 into it, after installation it should be dual boot.

problem here is...

i have the fedora 13 image file ie fedora13-i386-DVD.iso file.

now i dont want any live cd's all stuff....and also i dont want to write the iso to a DVD and boot from that dvd, but i want to install (full installion) fedora 13 from my 4 gb usb drive.... i made attempts like using live usb creator, unetboot etc etc......

but failed... and im new to linux plz help me doing this friends...

thanks in advance.

Are you trying to install the 32-bit or 64-bit version? The 64-bit version will not fit on a 4Gb USB stick without some rework of the image to shrink it's size.

Here is a pointer to the instructions to do what you want to do: Making USB Media. Just use your .iso instead whenever it talks about a Live image.

i have fedora 14 image of both 64 bit and 32 bit versiona. But nothing worked for me either by Live USB Creator or UNETBootIN

It could be your USB stick. A small percentage of them will not work due to hidden partitions.

fpmurphy i have kingston data traveller 4 GB Pen Drive. It is booting from USB but gets stuck on the first step

---------- Post updated at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:10 AM ----------

kindly help for this

---------- Post updated at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:11 AM ----------

thanx in advance

Certainly, we will try and help you. You state that it is getting stuck on first step.

Can you be more specific about exactly what is happening? For example, what messages are displayed?

On the first step after booting it shows Press Enter to Install..... When I press enter it stucks there and nothing happens. Even I waited for 30 minutes but still the screen stucks there i I have to reboot the system.

---------- Post updated at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:35 AM ----------

above is the case when i prepared the usb using live usb creator

---------- Post updated at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:37 AM ----------

When I used unetbootin, after booting it shows various options where i chose default..... There it shows normal booting of linux and after showing Loading sbin/loader it stucks

Strange. Is this the only message or text what is being displayed?

yes this is the only text

Strange, you should be seeing a lot more. You got another machine you can try the USB stick in?

i have tried the same on two more systems but getting the same result. Now I have installed the LIVE version of fedora14 on my pc but it has limited features. I deadly want full version of fedora 14

Why don't you download the full DVD media?

Also I think there should be an icon in your LIVE desktop named something like "Install" which permanently installs a copy of the OS. Then if you want additional packages you can use 'yum groupinstall'.

I think, there are some curruptions when you copied the iso.
Why don't youjust match the checksum of the iso you have with the one supplied with this perticular release?

Secondly, you may also put this USB drive into another Linux system and try to mount this ISO file onto that host, using the following command:

mount -o loop /dev/<USB0> /mnt/USB

Wherein the /dev/<USB0> is what you would see in the output of dmesg command when you insert this removable drive.

Once its mounted under /mnt/USB, change to that directory and try to invoke the loader file directly. The absolute path now could be /mnt/USB/sbin/loader.

See what happens. Let me know the output.

Cheers!!!!!!!

i have installed fedora 13 live on usb and then chose the option install to hard disk . it worked fine

thanx