How to expert Shell Programming ?

Guys,

I have been reading the bash books, there are so many command & operators etc. The theory part is so much. Overall I have read some book. Still do not feel I know the bash with confidence. Lots of Jobs for System Admin demand Scripting knowledge as requirement ..

I think I should start reading the Live eg of script to study it well than going over the theory over & over again.

Can anyone suggest me any good book which will help me going & building my confidence.

Thanks,
Heman

I'd suggest doing shell scripting, more than reading about it.

I agree with Corona! Stop ideating (lol).

Agree, but then is there piratical steps you guys would suggest ?

Thanks in advance

Think of a project and make it. Maybe try and make a game of some sort. Test out your theoretical knowledge and see if it can solve a real problem.

I can't give you a step-by-step process because it isn't one.

1 Like

Hi
Copy paste any short example to your terminal and try to alter it.
Alternativly, paste it to an editor, change there, copy paste to terminal, or save that file and execute it.

1 Like

Hi...
(Apologies for any typos.)

I am probably an experienced hand here... ;oD

Think of a fairly difficult project that you think shell scripting might not be able to do.
Jump in right at the deep end and start with something simple pertaining to that project.
That is exactly what I did. It was at the beginning of this year when I joined
and I knew little or nothing about shell scripting and I started bragging I was going to
do a pure text mode shell based AudioScope.

I suspect the guys on here thought "here we go again" but once the second upload was
posted I started to attain interest from my mentors. This code has eveloved into
something totally different for shell scripting and a lot of input came voluntarily from
the big guns on here...

So, upload your first incarnation here and I guarantee that once you get these guys and
gals attention you will be steered into the right direction.

The basics will soon stick and along with the accrued knowledge of the pros on here
some seriously clever stuff will start to become understandable. If you work out a
routine and it works but you are not happy with say its speed someone will comment
on an alternative. Also they will even volunteer ideas to enhance your project and will
even explain how some lines of code actually work if you ask them.

I have as near as dammit dumped Python for shell stuff purely because of some of its
limitations and finding out how to work around them...

You will soon get to _know_ the gurus that regularly give replies so keep your eyes
open for some clever tricks of the trade...

Enjoy...

1 Like

Thanks Gents ! Let me work it out .. Looking frw to learn it they it will matter .. :slight_smile:

Practice makes a man perfect & Rom is not built in a day would be my keys here ... I have some time fortunately to spend too ! so lets see ..

Btw i found one book ( i ran in lots of book to shortlist one, most book are 600+ pages ..target is go for 100 odd a day, that's max is my stamina, i guess ) which has explain theory with a lot of examples .. so let me follow it :slight_smile:

Thanks again