How to DNS Setup ??

Dear All,

I need to setup DNS just for the local network. So, I created a master zone with all the settings. I created A records and NS records. Applied new configurations and Stopped Bind9 and then restarted it. But when I enter the domain name in the browser of another client machine it does not show page moreover i can see the pages on server machine where all servers are installed..

Is there ANYTHING ELSE needed to make it to work?

Krishna.

Did you tell the client machines to use the new server?

I only tried to access by entering on the browser of an client machine on the same LAN where my server is.

HostName.Org

but could not access.

How ever on the server machine i can access by:

http://192.168.3.120
and also by
and HostName.Org

I did not get "Have you told to clients to use new server"?
Elaborate plz.

Krishna

If no one told you how to access the telephone directory of your company, how would you know what number to dial to reach anyone? It's similar with DNS, if you don't tell the clients what DNS server to use they won't use it. And those that they use probably won't know your entries, especially if it's for internal use.

For Unix hosts you set this in /etc/resolv.conf , in Windows through the adapter settings. Or, if you're using DHCP to hand out dynamic addresses, use the settings of the DHCP server to send out the new name server.

Thanks for reply.

I got what u said. It seems very much logical.How i missed that :frowning: .Let me see and try.

What is meant by Preferred and alternate DNS server (why not only one DNS server). Does it meant to provide a redundancy.

Can i make one system to provide multiple DNS server services.

Krishna

The alternate server is used in case the Preferred (or primary) isn't reachable, or sometimes if it can't serve the domain requested.

Yes, it's possible, but complicated. One option (which I've never even attempted since every description of it has big warnings associated with it) is a split-horizon DNS server setup, where it serves different answers based on the source IP of the request. The other option is to assign multiple IPs to the server, and have multiple DNS instances listening, each with it's own IP and set of configuration files.

The DNS problem is solved.

I was missing to change the DNS ip at clients.

Now one question arises.

1. Is there only manual way of changing DNS ip at client machines or there are any other way so that i can change or make clients to use my new DNS ip?

Krishna

As always: it depends. If your clients get their network information (IP address, routes, nameservers) through DHCP it's a setting that has to be changed on the DHCP server, and will become active as soon as the client requests a refresh.
If, however, the clients have their IP etc. statically set, you'll have to change them there.

Depending on the systems you use there might be automatic ways to update that information from remote, but I can't think of one right now.

1 Like

Thanks for ur answers.

It was really helpful.

Can you guide me for setting up DHCP servers.

Please suggest a robust DHCP server available in Opensource

Krishna

dnsmasq is a nice daemon that serves dhcp and dns. It's suitable for configuring a small network. It's smart enough to assume sane settings most of the time, and you can override anything. The config file comes with lots of examples.

These are the only lines I actually needed in dnsmasq.conf for our work server:

domain-needed
bogus-priv
# Assign IP addresses between 192.168.0.129 and 192.168.0.254 to clients
dhcp-range=192.168.0.129,192.168.0.254,255.255.255.0,12h
# Force a default gateway of 192.168.0.1
dhcp-option=3,192.168.0.1