How to create a Solaris patch package

Hi,

What's the process to create solaris patches.

Googled around, but couldn't find anything.
Can somebody help me on this.

Thanks

As far as I know, patches can only be created and released by Sun engineering. The alternative way for non Sun developers is to release a full new version of their packages.

Oh,
I was not aware of that.

Is that confirmed or somebody has other thoughts.

why are you looking to create a patch? is this for the os or an application?

If you really want to, I'm sure this is technically achievable. Patches are a collection of "sparse SVR4 packages". No documentation exists but nothing prevents you (outside possible legal issues) to reverse engineer the patch file format then build and release your own patches.

BigAdmin Sun Docs: Overview of Solaris Patch Types and Dependencies
[install-discuss] patches and packages [was Re: Sun to make Solaris more Linux like]

Apparently, it seems prefixing a patch id with a numerical prefix, just like packages names, is possible so at least you would avoid name collision.

Copes With Change Poorly: Solaris Patches

I want to create patches for the packages that I had created.

Will come back after reading the docs provided by "jlliagre"

---------- Post updated at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:14 AM ----------

Ok,

Documents are good but none describes how to create a patch.

And tips on that.

No official document describes how to create a patch and I never found anyone explaining how to create one on the net.
As I already wrote, should you really want to create one, you'll need to reverse engineer the format or give up as every software editor did. I'm unaware of any patch being released outside Sun. What's wrong with creating a new package version ?

If i create a new package version, how do i upgrade the older version.

I am not aware of any upgrade package command on solaris similar to "rpm -U" on linux.

"rpm -U" is equivalent to "pkgrm/pkgadd" if a new version is available and do nothing otherwise.
There is no equivalent to Solaris patches with rpm or similar.

Yes,
So consider I create a new version of the package.
While issuing a pkgadd command, system issues a warning that an instance of the same package exits.

How do i get around with this?

As already I wrote, start with removing the older instance with pkgrm.

Okie ..

check this out... maybe this will help: Application Packaging Developer's Guide - Sun Microsystems

Thanks

I have that doc.
Regoing gave some more information.