How to create a new file in a CVS repository

I have a coding project that I'm working on, and I'm tracking revisions using CVS. I'm working on a branch (branch1) at version 1.1.2.1.

Anyway, I created a new C file in the directory for the project, but I can't commit it. The tutorial I read on CVS said that version numbers will be assigned automatically to new files, and they will have the same revision as the latest revision of everything else. Instead, when I check the status of game.c (the new file) I get:

===================================================================
File: game.c               Status: Unknown

Working revision:    No entry for game.c
   Repository revision:    No revision control file

I have already tried releasing and checking out the project from the repository. I have already tried committing the changes to game.c. I've already tried creating the repository file manually. No matter what I do, CVS will not let me add a new file to the project. Is there any way to do this?

P.S. Please don't tell me to use a different RCS.

EDIT: I tried

cvs add game.c

and I got

cvs add: cannot add file on non-branch tag `1.1.2.1'

The standard way of doing it does not work.

Hi.

Use add, then commit ... cheers, drl

As I said, I already tried that and it didn't work. I had to delete the sticky tag, which ended up merging the versions (because it was a branch) and making the repository inaccessable for some reason. I have just deleted my entire project, as well as the CVS repository, and restored the code from my USB backups.

Hi.

I think I can understand why cvs might not allow adds to branches. The branches are copies of main with the exception of changes to existing files. Adding a file to a branch might make merging an even more unbearable task then it usually is.

I looked through my copy of Fogel's Open Source Development with CVS and although I found no restrictions on adding files to branches, I didn't see any examples of it either.

You could try to see if any of the forums from a Google of "cvs forum -pharmacy -grocery" are still active, try another linux forum, or wait until an expert appears here.

I'd be interested in a definitive answer, although I've left cvs behind many years ago. (Somewhat ironically, I use rcs for temporary revision control, but I also use bzr for the same task.)

Good luck ... cheers, drl

How did you create the branch you are working on?

cvs tag -b branch1

That's the only way I know how to do it, and it's the way given in the CVS docs in /usr/share/doc/cvs. Anyway, I've decided to try to avoid branches from now on, as merges can be unpredictable.

Hi.

I found:

-- CVS--Concurrent Versions System - Adding, removing, and renaming files and directories

That suggests that you can add files to a branch, but in quick skim I saw no examples. If I get some time, I'll experiment ... cheers, drl

Google search "add file to cvs branch" had a number of hits, not all appropriate, of course.

---------- Post updated at 21:53 ---------- Previous update was at 09:53 ----------

Hi.

I installed cvs in a VM and wrote this script:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) run1	Demonstrate creation, staging, branching of cvs repository.

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
pe() { for i;do printf "%s" "$i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for i;do printf "%s" "$i";done; printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && . $C cvs

pl " Results:"
./create-repo
./stage-files
./make-branch

exit 0

producing:

% ./run1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.32-29-generic, i686
Distribution        : Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS (lucid) 
GNU bash 4.1.5
cvs - ( /usr/bin/cvs Nov 10 2008 )

-----
 Results:

CVSROOT
N myproj/collected.c
N myproj/main.c

No conflicts created by this import

cvs checkout: Updating myproj
U myproj/collected.c
U myproj/main.c

total 12
drwxr-x--- 2 drl drl 4096 Mar 13 21:30 CVS
-rw-r--r-- 1 drl drl   46 Mar 13 21:30 collected.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 drl drl  220 Mar 13 21:30 main.c
cvs tag: Tagging .
T collected.c
T main.c
cvs tag: Tagging .
T collected.c
T main.c
cvs update: Updating .
cvs add: scheduling file `suba.c' for addition on branch `new_stuff_1'
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
cvs add: scheduling file `subb.c' for addition on branch `new_stuff_1'
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
cvs commit: Examining .
/home/drl/try/user-problem/1019/repo/myproj/Attic/suba.c,v  <--  suba.c
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1
/home/drl/try/user-problem/1019/repo/myproj/Attic/subb.c,v  <--  subb.c
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1

As you can see just above, the new files were added to the branch. I recall getting an error message similar to the one you posted, but I could not elicit it just now. I did not try to merge the branch into main.

This is more of an academic question for me. We used cvs at a place I worked and one person in our group was responsible for merging branches back into main for each end-of-development-phase. It was always a struggle, often taking days to get everything right.

I think you are wise to stay away from branches unless you absolutely need to deal with them. If you do need them, then you can experiment until you are comfortable.

Good luck ... cheers, drl