how to copy downloaded file into my source file folder (putty/unix)

I need to
"Ensure that when you download libchat.a from the VLE you have copied it to the same folder on ius as your source files. You then refer to the library (and the libraries it needs) with:
gcc -o outputfile sourcefile.c -L. -lchat -lsocket -lnsl"
But I have no idea what this means! (I don't even know what my "source files" are)
libchat.a is actually a zipped folder with two files in it: root() and chatlib.o (?!)

Also "You will need to include three libraries called stdio.h, string.h and chatlib.h.
You should do this by placing the following lines at the start of your program.
#include <s t d i o . h>
#include <s t r i n g . h>
#include � c h a t l i b . h �
The chatlib library provides the following functions that you will need for this
problem"
I have downloaded chatlib.h but I dont know how to make it work on UNIX/putty.
:wall:
Thank you in advance!

PUTTY isn't a UNIX the same way a TV isn't channel 3. Don't mistake the picture for the computer. PUTTY is a terminal emulator used to communicate with other systems over the internet, many of them UNIX systems, some of them not.

If you don't know what your system is, try running 'uname'.

Put the 'chatlib.h' file in the same folder as your .c files on the server. Your program will be able to find it with #include that way.

gcc -o outputfile sourcefile.c -L. -lchat -lsocket -lnsl
This is what you need to do in order to turn the code sourcefile.c into the program outputfile. Once you've compiled it this way, you can run it with ./outputfile

---------- Post updated at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:07 PM ----------

As for how to copy it into your folder, depends on how they have it set up. They probably have given you instructions on how to do so. FTP or SCP may be involved.

Worst case, you can run this in the putty window:

cat <<EOF > chatlib.h
paste the contents of chatlib.h into the window here
EOF

which will create chatlib.h with the pasted contents.

Homework goes here, with special rules