how to connect a PC terminal to UNIX server?

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and looking for help here.

we have four terminals connected to our solaris server (x86 based).
the server got an interface card which provide serial port and video port for all chained terminals in a serial way. All these clients have no IP and they all display server's IP when being turned on.

My requirement is to capture the graphics (not text) on the terminal. so I came up an idea that to connect a normal PC to aforementioned serial and video port (with some hardware converter) and simulate as a unix terminal for the server.
Please note that I am not intended to run a telnet session with the PC terminal. I want to acquire the current terminal windows and provide input via PC's keyboard.

Before I try, I'd like to know whether this is feasible.
As first step, How do I identify the type of current terminal? Because it appears quite unusual model.

any help would be highly appreciated.

You need an X11 manager grab a copy of

Xmanager
or
Xming

1 Like

Everything you (do not) want to know about terminals is here: Text-Terminal-HOWTO

1 Like

Hi there.
I would use ssh with the -X option

ssh -X [username@servername]

If you have a Windows machine on the same network as the server, install cygwin. This program provides a full UNIX/Linux environment. Any ssh program will due. Then I would install a program called snag-it on Windows. This program will let you capture section of the desktop as any type of pic you want. there is also limited video capture as well. I use this program at work to grab pics for how-to doc I make at work.

I hope this helps you.

---------- Post updated at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ----------

Oh one more thing if you need the desktop on your system I would use VNC. You will get better performance and less lag with VNC then using the serial port though a web interface.