How to configure DNS

My OS is sun solaris7,(sun sparc),i want connect inernet and my computer in my company intranet.After i configure proxy server,i still can't conncet internet.I guess whether the DNS is configured correctly.
who can help me???Thank you very much!!!

You can define DNS and search domains in /ect/resolv.conf file.
Do "man resolv.conf" for more info.

I do believe that it wouldn't hurt to also make an entry in the /etc/hosts file as well.

Also, in HPUX, there is a file called /etc/rc.config.d/netconf which also has some configuration for you do there as well. For subnetmask config and IP address and Hostname. Of course you have Solaris, so the file name might be different. But, you should still have a file similar to this.

You may also want to check your netstat output for your lan configuration. Try "netstat -in". I believe that is the same on your OS as well.

:smiley:

check out the internal resolver of sunOS env. ( resolve.conf .AND. nsswitch.conf ).

cheers

Thank you for your help.
I still don't know how to configure the /etc/resolv.conf.Is the file's format the same as the file /etc/defaultrouter?Please help me.In Windows,if the DNS is configured to localhost,it can connect internet.in unix,what is the DNS?the localhost?the proxy server?
Thank you!!!
look forwards to your reply!

Hi,
The DNS is a server which permit you to resolve computers unqualified names to complete names (test -> test.foo.neo.com).
The localhost is your workstation. The proxy server can give you access to internet (I don't know how !!).
The best is you ask to your network or UNIX administrators to tell you if there is a DNS server on your network !!! If yes, this is the config for example:

nameserver "@IP of DNS server"
domain "your own name domain (foo.neo.com)
search "all the domain you want to search (neo.com hello.neo.com .....)

Hope this will help you

Thank you very much!!!