how to compare all files in one unix box has been to copied to another unix box

Hi

our unix admin has copied all files from one unix box to new unix box. We just need to confirm that all the file systems are copied properly. How to validate.

this is maybe more a scripting thing... you can build checksums of all files on both machines and compare them...

thread moved from solaris to scripting.

Simplest way I can think of is "rsync -n"

this checks file consistency?

Reborg thanks for your reply.

i dont have rsync installed on the box.

Hey duke

I am not good at scripting. Could you please let me know how to do check sums. Do you mean do a files count?

Thanks
Sravan

which version of solaris do you use?

Dry run but it amounts to the same, ie. list the files that would have been copied to bring the two into sync. If the there are no files the systems are in sync.

You can get rsync from Sunfreeware - Freeware Open Source Software for Sun Microsystem's Solaris if you are able to install additional software, from memory you will also need popt and libgcc and depending on the version you may also need libiconv and libintl.

but i think he needs to verify if the files are ok... so i came up with "checksum". to copy a file and verify the copy is the same as the original are two different things. if "rsync" does this or this is not what the OP want's to do, forget about my idea...

rsync does do that, that is the way it determines if a file needs to be updated, and why I suggested -n; dry run by it's very nature is a comparison. It's easier than writing a script, but if the OP can't install rsync then a checksum script would be one way to go.

i didn't know that rsync works with checksums! thnx for this very usefull information!