How to clone an AIX 5.3?

Hello all,

I am trying to clone an entire aix 5.3 machine , not sure on the procedure.Can anyone help on what can be done ?Thanks

Hi Gull05,

You have a number of options, depending on the way the system was built. The simplest way would be to use the "mksysb" command, but this depends on the machine being in single user mode.

You don't actually say if the system is SAN attached or is it an LPAR, could really do with some additional information about the system here.

Regards

Gull04

Hello Gull04,

Sorry i am a newbie to whole aix , Can you explain the command on how i can find the details whether it is with LPAR or SAN.Thanks in advance.

Hi Gull05,

As to the "mksysb" command, you will find all the requisite information in the man pages. To access these, logon to the server and run the command man mksysb for the other information we require the following.

To identify the disk information run lsdev -Cc disk and to identify whether you are in an LPAR run "lparstat" from the HMC

Regards

Gull04

Hello Gull04 ,

Thanks a lot for that .

AIX # lsdev -Cc disk
hdisk0 Available  Virtual SCSI Disk Drive
hdisk2 Available  Virtual SCSI Disk Drive

lparstat command returned the below when tried from AIX itself

AIX#lparstat

System configuration: type=Shared mode=Capped smt=On lcpu=8 mem=13567 psize=8 ent=0.50

%user  %sys  %wait  %idle physc %entc  lbusy  vcsw phint
----- ----- ------ ------ ----- ----- ------ ----- -----
  1.2   0.6    0.1   98.1  0.01   2.2    2.6 2298033479 29970185

When lparstat command is issued from HMC,it returned the following,

lparstat
bash: lparstat: command not found

Can you please suggest how i can go further , also can you brief about the mksysb command for me please.Thanks

An mksysb is a backup image of the rootvg along with some code to make the image bootable and restorable. You take it, boot a blank system with this image and have an exact duplicate, save for the IP adresses (there is a special point in the boot process to enter new IP addresses to avoid duplicates).

All this information could you have gleaned from the man page, as gull04 has suggested you do. Basically a mksysb does a backupvg rootvg (for the backupvg command see the man page) and ultimately uses backup (has also a man page - read it) to do the backup.

To understand what is in this image do the following command on your system:

lsvg -l rootvg

You will see a list of filesystems similar to this one:

# lsvg -l rootvg
rootvg:
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs     PPs     PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT
hd5                 boot       1       1       1    closed/syncd  N/A
hd6                 paging     128     128     1    open/syncd    N/A
hd8                 jfs2log    1       1       1    open/syncd    N/A
hd4                 jfs2       13      13      1    open/syncd    /
hd2                 jfs2       130     130     1    open/syncd    /usr
hd9var              jfs2       96      96      1    open/syncd    /var
hd3                 jfs2       16      16      1    open/syncd    /tmp
hd1                 jfs2       29      29      1    open/syncd    /home
hd10opt             jfs2       56      56      1    open/syncd    /opt
lg_dumplv           sysdump    64      64      1    open/syncd    N/A
livedump            jfs2       8       8       1    open/syncd    /var/adm/ras/livedump
hapowerlv           jfs2       32      32      1    open/syncd    /halogs

These filesystems (which hold every part the systems configuration) are the filesystems to be backed up into the image.

Regarding cloning a system: note that AIX 5.3 is not supported on any modern hardware: not on POWER7 and definitely not on POWER8. You might want to consider updating to something less than 5 years out of any support.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks Bakunin,

Spoke to my Manager , looks like we cannot update aix for next 6 months atleast.

I had a look at mksysb, looks like it can clone only rootvg and can you suggest what can we do to clone the logical volume?

Also , can you suggest how to create a new LPAR for holding the destination system ?

Thanks

mksysb is specifically designed to make a (bootable) image of the rootvg with all its configuration data, so, yes, it can only process the rootvg .

You can use the savevg for the other volume groups, which works basically the same as mksysb except for not creating bootable images. Both mksysb and savevg are based on the backup command.

But having several LPARs you should have some sort of backup solution. Why don't you use that for cloning? Create a LPAR, drop the taken mksysb there to clone th system, attach some disks for the application VGs and then restore your (application) backup. Wouldn't that be a viable and relatively hassle-free solution?

I am not sure what you mean. dump the profile of the current LPAR to a file on the HMC, copy that file and change it to reflect the different attributes of the original and the clone system, save the changed profile and and then issue an mksyscfg on the HMC with this new profile. I don't know any other way, but that is standard procedure, so what exactly was your question about?

Notice that you cannot do that on a POWER8 because it won't run AIX 5.3 in an LPAR (that is a hardware limitation). You can do it on a POWER7 if the AIX 5.3 is ML12 (last) and some other limitations (in fact it was supported for a very short time when the POWER7 was released). To be on the safe side you should use a POWER6 (or even older) hardware, but then you will run on hardware that is not supported any more either.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

IBM AIX 5.3 enabled to run natively on IBM POWER8 servers

1 Like

Sorry, my bad. Now that you mentioned it i remember having heard that, but forgot about it. Good catch.

bakunin