how i can read vmcore.x (x=0,1,...) file

how i can read vmcore.x (x=0,1,...) file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how i can read vmcore.x (x=0,1,...) file in text format or any readable format. have any idea?

I heard 'strings' command work on it, but in solaris when i tried -- it said such huge size not possible.

Any help/idea will be cordially welcomed.

I'm not a Solaris person, but there has to be a debugger that can read the kernel core.

This explains system core dump management for both core types in Solaris:

http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/manage_core_dump.html

It looks like kmdb is what you need. But read the article first.

Hello, well what do you exactly mean by reading the memory dump file (vmcore)?
Actually, these files can be debugged using mdb (or kmdb) and adb (or kadb) utilities which are built in tools of Solaris. :slight_smile:

But if you want to just see the contents then either you can use strings command(which dint work in ur case), apart from this there is another CCS utility called "nm" which can help u to see the contents of unix.0 - /usr/ccs/bin/nm unix.0 x :D, but for vmcore.0 you need to use the mdb or adb debuggers to analyze or view the crash dump file.
:b:

I use these on a daily basis, so if you encounter any problems, you can always revert to me.

my system got panic and crashed, it generated vmunix.0 file. To analyse I am using mdb utility but I am not sure what is the correct was of using it. I am getting this
# mdb -k vmcore.0
mdb: vmcore.0 is not an ELF file

Can some one help me how I can analyse vmcore.0

Thanks in advance.........

will appreciate if someone gives the exact syntax for using mdb