how do i unmount ?

hi all,

I am new to AIX as well as UNIX also ,i have a question

One of my program has created a new filesystem on the system.....

df shows :

/dev/fslv04 2031616 2030648 1% 3 1% /replicas/source

when i tried to umount the above filesystem by

umount -f /replicas/source

it says :

umount: 0506-349 Cannot unmount /dev/fslv04: The requested resource is busy.

I rebooted the system , then also problem still persists ...

what i want , is to remove the filesystem completely from the system

one option i tried is i commented out the corresponding entry in /etc/filesystems and given reboot , i guess , i have not seen the filesystem.

so my question is , is this way of doing is correct ? is there any otherway , i am totally confusing in how to remove this filesystem...

please help me

If you have IBM support I would contact them. They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Have u tried fuser, see man fuser for example :confused:

You are doing the "umount" part correctly. The problem is (and this is indicated by the error message) that you can't umount a filesystem (on every UNIX, this is nothing special to AIX) as long as there is a process using a file in it or there is a user session with the PWD somewhere in the filesystem.

Therefore a "mount /myfs" followed by a "umount /myfs" will work, but if you do a "cd /myfs" in between it won't. Change your working directory to some other place and it will work again.

With "fuser" you can (this is why andryk gave you the hint) find out processes which use files in the FS.

As this is a beginners question you should ask it there and ask a moderator to move this thread there.

bakunin