How do I remove or hide SunOS version/release from remote login prompt?

For any SunOS 5.XX release, it appears prior to the "login:" prompt (as if a "uname" command is run).

Would anyone know where that initial display of SunOS release comes from upon a remote login and how I can stop if from displaying?

Thank you

With what command are you remotely login to the machine? Can you show an example of the message that is displayed?

This might be the /etc/motd content but it should appear after you have successfully login, not before a credential prompt.

I would consider /etc/issue, /etc/banner or perhaps /etc/herald although these do depend on what service is offering the connection. Assuming you are connecting with telnet then have a look in your manual pages for telnetd to see what the service will do. I think I've seen this in the login page too, but I can't remember where or if perhaps I'm even making that up.

Am I right that you are looking for the pre-login banner/warning/welcome message and login prompt? The /etc/motd is usually displayed post-login, but of course it could be used pre-login too.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

SunOS 5.9 and 5.10:

ftpd pre-login banner: configured in /etc/ftpd/ftpacces
Example:

banner          /etc/ftpd/banner.msg
greeting        brief

telnetd pre-login banner: configured in /etc/default/telnetd
Example (no banner):

BANNER=""

sshd pre-login banner: configured in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
Example (no banner):

#Banner /etc/issue
3 Likes

Thank you to "MadeinGermany" ! That covered everything!

And made me remember how cool it is to be of German geneology myself :slight_smile: