How do I install files in Linux?

Ok, I have downloadet a program frome the internet, before you ask and flame me yes I am a noob. But thats not the problem. My problem is. How do I install it so I can run it in the terminal window.

The file is .tgz and when i extract it I get a folder with lots of "c" documents and that sorts. I know the basic of programing in Windows. With that I mean the language c++, c# and VB 6.0 and .NET

But in Linux !!! I am blank. I did youst start to try to learn it. The verson I am runing is named sabayon not ubuntu as most people do. But I guess that dosent matter the way to install files are well bascliy the same right?

Thanks for all the help. And I am sorry if I have taken your time with something that was only some pice of trash.

Try this.

./configure
make
make install

Let me know.

Prashant,

For additional information, a majority of applications like that have a README file which has notes about the application and a file called INSTALL which has instructions on how to create the binary. You should make a habit of reading the README file and always read the INSTALL file in case you need to ensure other things are present or the correct switches are used for the configure script.

Carl

BOFH you are right :slight_smile:

Prashant,

Windows depends on Visual Studio for development, for the most part. UNIX uses makefiles, which are kind of batch-files on steroids. The usual series of steps in compiling a program:

• ./configure
    This file checks out your system and creates an appropriate makefile. You can give it various options on things like where to install to. See ./configure --help for details.
  • make
    This searches for a makefile in your current directory, finds it, and executes it's default target, namely the program.
  • make install
    This executes a different target, which attempts to install the given programs into the directories ./configure chose. It might not be able to if you don't have permission to write to those directories, which means you may need to run this step as root. none of the other steps need to be run as root.

But what is your distribution? Most distributions except Gentoo use archives full of binary files that've been built for you, not source files. It's best to cooperate with your distro as much as you can rather than injecting stuff under it, fight it too much and it'll fight back.

Thanks for the replays. But nothing of the thing you did suggest for me did work. When I try make... It only say "Nothing to be done for ... *thefile*"
And the ./configure do it only say no such file og directory and the make install dident work. Then did it only say "Nothing to be done for ... install".

Are there some other ides?

What are you trying to install? Can you provide the name of the program? Older programs might require editing a makefile or config.h file to set it up for your system.

Is it a perl package? Is there a Makefile.pl in the directory? You'd have to run "perl Makefile.pl" which would build the correct makefile.

Perhaps the binary has already been created. How about if you run "make distclean"? This will remove all temporary files and the binary so you can build again.

Is there a README or INSTALL file? Docs? The problem for us is we don't have enough information. The two solutions I just noted don't quite match what you're posting as output. How about a list of the files in the main directory? Are you in the right directory when you run the ./configure command?

Carl

No problem, I am putting the prog in the atacch files. :wink:

I'm not helping you any more until you tell me what you want with ssh password bruteforcing.

Hey, dont blame me! You wantet to see what I was doing, I dident ask you to help me with breaking any laws ! And I have never been speaking about doing it eather. If I had some ellyligal thing in my mind, do you think that I would be that stupid to let you know what it was? As you now, I am new to UNIX/Linux. Ok this was first step. Secound, I have a ubunt verson to (on my laptop am I running sabayon) on a nother computer. On this if you choose Synapic Pakket H�nterer ( I dont know what this is in egnlish, I am using a norwegian one (yes now you know witch contry I am frome ) ) then can you choose a file named SSH in here search for it, This will give your computer the allibilti to be a SSH server. And so, am I wery courius how you can break this code and how long it takes for differnts codes and if it works. And if it works. How can I trace the people that are doing this. The best way to learn is to do it. So whats wrong about trying to crack your own computer. If you dont trust me then fine... Then I just have to look another place for help.

But thanks if you trust me and help me...
NB: Why do people always flame someone youst for fun, and think the worst thing about them before asking.

If you'd posted your intent in the OP, and your previous OP, nobody would have questioned it. As is, this is the first time you've ever said anything about what you're actually doing, and then only because I made you. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Precisely the problem.

How I've always seen it done is various combinations of "standard" users like 'root', 'test', and 'login' along with passwords from a dictionary file. Plain brute force. Half the time the users they try to login with don't even exist on my machine. Use complicated passwords that aren't dictionary words and you'll be pretty safe.

I'm not flaming you, and it's hardly just for fun.

I see no problem, :wink:
But can you tell me how I am supose to
install files in linux?

NB: I dont tell if you dont ask. Thats how the most thing in this world work. :wink:

hast5, we have some rules here and we expect you to follow them. One of the rules is:
(11) These are not hacker boards so hacker related posts will be promptly deleted or moderated.

Please, no discussions of password cracking software here. I will close this thread and remove the attached software.