How do I create desktop icons for the shell programs I create???

I am a bash shell programmer and I create programs on occasional basis.

Now, I dont want my programs to be run by typing out its name at a command line. I want to make it as user friendly as possible. I want to create icons on the desktop so users can click on it. mind you, I said "desktop icons" not "panel applets".

Also, is there anyway i can design my own icons instead of picking from the list of icons given to me by my operating system which is Linux Red Hat 7.2

Are you using Gnome, KDE, or something different?

I'm using KDE

I forgot exactly but if you right click the icon you should see some options.

Also make your own icons in gimp or Windows and email the images to your email account and download on your Linux Box.

I think there is something in KDE that lets you edit these icons, I suggest you run a search. I think this app. is in the KDE menu, but i'm not too sure...

Well, I dont use KDE, so I'm a little rusty, but put a link to the file from the shell script onto your desktop, and under the properties, make sure is says run in terminal.

I was right! there is an application in the K menu called something obvious like 'Edit Icons' or something like that. If it's not there, try installing random packages!

K> Graphics> Icon Editor