How do I connect windows xp to Linux Red hat unix

I just bought a new pc and my unix software is installed on my old computer. I want to take the hard disk outta my old pc and then install it on my new pc so my new pc has 2 hard drives.

now, after my pc new has 2 hard drives, one being unix the other being windows xp, i want to be able to access the unix hard disk through windows xp. is that possible??? if not, please people tell me how i can do this?? i know of system commander but is there any free softwares out there that can make this happen for me????

The trick is to understand the filesystems on the disks.

XP works with FAT32 and NTFS.

Linux works with VFAT (VFAT32), so if your original filesystem was VFAT in linux, you should be OK, and odds are you were not using VFAT (see the mount command man pages on linux for more info).

There is not a lot of reliable freeware (that I know of, because I have the same problem!!) for XP that allows XP to READ and WRITE an EXT2 (or similar linux filesystem).

I would love to be able to do this and they only way I know how (at the moment) for R/W access (free) is to:

(1) mount your disks on a linux server (or build a new one).

(2) create a VFAT32 file system on a partition or new disk.

(3) copy the stuff you want (on XP) to the new VFAT32 partition or disk.

(4) move (new disk) to XP and access that file system from XP.

Please keep in mind (of course) that the linux executables will not execute :slight_smile: but you will be able to read and copy files, etc.

FWIW: here is another commerical program that is advertised to do the trick (that I've been thinking about buying for a few months ...)

The demo version will allow READ ONLY access to LINUX filesystems that are under 1GB... so if you have really small disk partitions (by todays standards) this would be 'FREE' and you could then transfer the files....

Direct link to demo below:

Note: if you download and try this (or buy it), please post back and let us know how it works!

Also,

you might want to try this for reading and transferring LINUX EXT2 to XP filesystems ....

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

If all these suggestions don't have appeal, please read this article about a few more options:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2001-01/lw-01-legacy-p1.html

See this link for another option:

how can i build a server???

is there any site you can point me to or can you just give me the neccessay steps

Just build "Red Hat" (for example) just like you originally had.... any normal linux distribution will work and the installation procedures are based on the distribution you choose.

thanks everyone for helping me out

now, i have found the very perfect way of connectingmy system to the linux operating system thru windows xp. i downloaded a software and this software made it possible for me to access and fully run my Linux red hat system without having to reboot. in other words, i can access linux through windows by simply clicking on an icon. this is perfectly fits my needs.

please, anyone of you that knows something about analyzing core files, reply to the thread i made about it. thank you

down load samba for free