Help with shell script: moving end of line character

Hello.

I have a file (old.txt) that I need to copy into another file (new.txt).

Each line on old.txt ends with CR/LF but the position of CR/LF varies from one record to another.

I need to copy each line of record to new.txt and move CR/LF in pos 165.

Can I use awk to achieve this? How? If not, what other options can be used?

Thank you. Your response(s) are greatly appreciated.

For copying the lines except the last character ,you can use something like this :

awk '{ print substr($0,1,length($0)-1)}' filename.txt

Did u mean u need to append spaces for the rest of the line till 165th character...

Then u can adapt

awk '{printf "%-165s\n",$0}' old.txt > new.txt

All lines will be left justified for 165 characters...

If CR/LF is found at position 100, I would need to copy all characters from 1-99, and append spaces from position 100-164.

How do we do this?

Ohh.. is it something like this ?.

awk '{ print substr($0,1,length($0)-1);for(i=length($0)+1;i<165;i++) print " "}' filename.txt

Can u try the above comamnd on ur file and let me know the result.. If that does not work, let us give a simple input and ur expected output

this is my test data:

HEADER    BBBBB_gllvdcout  20091106.1700040715
AA  *     EAA        EAAAAAA     6AAAAAAAA0     Y AAAA AAA SAAAAA MAAAAAAAAAA
AB  *     EBB        EBBBBBB     6BBBBBBBB0       BBBB BBB BBBBBB BBBBBBBBBBB
TRAILER   351845           20091106.170004

when I tried the above command I get this:

HEADER    BBBBB_gllvdcout  20091106.170004071
 AA  *     EAA        EAAAAAA     6AAAAAAAA0     Y AAAA AAA SAAAAA MAAAAAAAAA
 AB  *     EBB        EBBBBBB     6BBBBBBBB0       BBBB BBB BBBBBB BBBBBBBBBB

---------- Post updated at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:06 AM ----------

when i tried this:

awk '{printf "%-165s\n",$0}' old.txt > new.txt 

I get this:

HEADER    BBBBB_gllvdcout  20091106.1700040715                                                                                                                       
AA  *     EAA        EAAAAAA     6AAAAAAAA0     Y AAAA AAA SAAAAA MAAAAAAAAAA                                                                                        
AB  *     EBB        EBBBBBB     6BBBBBBBB0       BBBB BBB BBBBBB BBBBBBBBBBB                                                                                        
TRAILER   351845           20091106.170004                                                                                                                           

CR/LF is at position 166.

Try this :

awk '{pr=substr($0,1,length($0)-1);for(i=length($0);i<166;i++) pr=pr"-" ; print pr}' filename.txt

Note i used "-" instead of " " for better readability

awk '{printf "%-164s\n",$0}' old.txt > new.txt .. should do the job..