Help with find command, Please!

I have over 20 gig that I need to report on how much storage is being used per month. I have tried to use find with -cnewer and two files with beginning and end dates for the month, but I get the error "The parameter list is too long." Does anyone have a better way of doing this? It doesn't appear to matter which dates I use, I get the same error, even for 1 day.

touch temp -t 200709010001
touch ntemp -t 200709300001

find /home/data/*/* -cnewer temp -and ! -cnewer ntemp > septapars.txt

I need to go to the subdirectories below data, and there are quite a few and then the files are underneath that subdirectory.

Why not just "find /home/data -cnewer temp -and ! -cnewer ntemp ....."

find only takes one starting directory. The /home/data/*/* will expand to multiple arguments.

If you have having problems with a command, stick "echo" in front of it and it will show you what you are actually trying to run and what arguments will be passed to the program.

Thanks Porter. I have 1833 subdirectories under data that have files I need to calculate the total size of storage used for September, August, etc. Is there a better way to do this?

If you start find at /home/data it will enumerate through all subdirectories. If that is what you have to do, that is what you have to do.

That's where I'm getting the error "Parameter list too long."

Can you post the exact command and arguments you are using?