help troubleshooting

Hi.

I have a Solaris 10 server that's taking about 20secs to respond to telnet or ftp commands. Has anyone ever seen something like that? Can you tell me where to start troubleshooting please? I logged in and did a prtstat, but nothing is jumping out as an issue.

How many processes are running? Just the other night sendmail "fork bombed" my server by forking into thousands of processes and slowed interactive use to a crawl. It could also be a network issue. Do a

dladm show-dev

to check the connection rate and duplex of the NIC you are connecting through. It could also be under a heavy load. Try probing around with netstat to look at your connection statistics.

Thanks.

I'm giving the the command a try now. Let me mention, that once I get logged into the box, it's responding quite nicely. Not slow at all. Only connecting to the box takes about 20-25 seconds.

Also, I just tried SSH and that is responding right away. Only FTP and Telnet is taking long to respond.[COLOR="\#738fbf"]

how much clinets do tou have to connect on server

I ran the command and got this out put:

dladm show-dev
ce0 link: unknown speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
ce1 link: unknown speed: 0 Mbps duplex: unknown

Shouldn't that link show up and not unknown? Or is this normal?[COLOR="\#738fbf"][COLOR="\#738fbf"]

---------- Post updated at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:12 PM ----------

In response to solaris_user:

I have an FTP process that connects and sends files to the server. The FTP is giving errors because it's taking so long to respond.

Do an

ifconfig -a

to show all your configured interfaces. If ce1 has an IP address assigned to it check the physical connection.

The Server has a static IP. So ifconfig will show the IP. What am I to check with the physical? ce1 interface is not connected to the network. But ce0 is. I can ping the server fine and SSH to the server fine.

---------- Post updated at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:19 PM ----------

I think I may have figured it out. For some reason this server was pointing to a dns server at another site. I changed the DNS server to the local site and it's responding nicely now. Don't quite understand why DNS is a factor when I'm connecting with IP Address and not names. :confused:

this should be a DNS problem. try to enter the IP and name of the machine you login FROM(!) into the /etc/hosts file of the solaris server. after that, try again to login...

Yeah it was a DNS issue.