Help me with this Shell Program

Now, am in a very tight situation here. I really dont expect anyone to understand but please, try your best.

am trying to right a program that goes back to the previous entry to correct a mistake.

heres what am trying to do. i write a program like this

Name : James Holgston
Address : -
Phone :

now, after the user enters a name for the name field and the cursor is now in the address field, how do I make the cursor go back to the name field and erase the previous entry to allow the user to enter a new entry. I was basically able to return the cursor the the previous field but I couldn't figure out how to clear the previous field. all i was able to do was bring the cursor up to the first letter of the previous field but was not able to delete the entire entry automatically.

say, after I entered James Holgston and now the cursor is blinking on the Address field, how do I go back to the field where James Holgston is and delete that name upon the arrival of the cursor.

is there any hack I can add to my script??

How are you accessing fields? Using curses? Which shell are you using? need more information to assist you. Post some sample code where you think the problem is.