Help me name a fictional cat

Hi people

I'm writing a short story and there is a cat in it. The cat belongs to a hacker, so I need a name for it that would make a Unix/Linux person chuckle.

I don't know much at all about Unix or Linux, or indeed hacking, and was going to call the cat Torvalds, or Root. Both good names for a cat, I'm sure you'll agree, but a bit too obvious really.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a more subtle name for the cat that is hacking-related?

Thanks
Maria
PS I promise that no cats are going to be harmed in any way in this short story

Midnight(BSD)

Linus Torvalds ? Wikipedia

i like the idea...

or maybe:

Cat5, Perl, Beastie, Tux, Puffy (if it's a feisty cat)

cat5 is cool :smiley:

so it also can be "switch", "hub" or "router"...

Ooooh, I am liking all of these. Beastie might be winning due to particular relevance to the story inserts ninja smiley

As in the networking cable? It's all google is returning for me!

By all means, keep them coming :slight_smile:

That's why I suggested it

And Cat5 isn't my invention, it's courtesy of J.D. "Illiad" Frasier from his Web comic

lol, I should have figured out who you were, really!
Good job I'm not writing a detective story :o

How could I forget: Apache TomCat!

It would have to be a male cat then!

I'd have gone for plain simple 'cat' (as in the Unix/Linux command), but that would demand that the hacker has a certain sense of humour. Not just a sense of humour, but a fairly dry, ironic, sense of humour and maybe a stripped down lifestyle.

'Cat5' is good for someone who might have had a history of cats, too...:smiley:

'null' is a possibility, but somehow less funny and '/dev/null' is not what most real people would use.

The command "ypcat" (print the Network Information Services map) could be contracted down to "yp" which would sound great shouted out late at night - depending on how you pronounce "yp".
Trivia: In the unix world you are not allowed to expand yp to Yellow Pages any more following some ancient copyright case.

Or.

"tac" - command to read a file backwards.
"woem" and "rrup" - the sound made by a tac.

the 'cat' command was sometimes used to display short files, but 'less' and 'more' are better for this.

You could also try working the Useless Use of Cat Award into this somehow. 'useless' isn't a bad name for a cat, really. :wink:

Following the Blue Peter scandal when they named their cat "Socks" after a TCP/IP proxy protocol and ignored the phone votes from the viewers, the name which actually had the most votes was "Cookie"! This proves that the vote was compromised by hackers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socks_(Blue_Peter_cat)#Socks

Not many people on this site seem to have read the unix Useful Uses of Cat collection:

http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/uuoc/

what about netcat

one of the very early network debugging tool aka sniffers that was available. Used by many hackers.

If I recall the settings correctly you should be able to post a link now. I believe the setting we have is 5 posts before links can be posted without having you posts moderated.

ah - it must be more than 5 posts :slight_smile:

These posts by mazzz_in_Leeds have become borderline spam on this site.... :frowning:

I have deleted the self-promoting posts and will now close this thread.