HELP for Newbie: Unable to run GUI installer (Ubuntu client connected to SLES server)

Hello All,

I'm using my Ubuntu 10.04 client connected via SSH to a SuSE Linux server (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) version 11 patchlevel=1).
I'm trying to run an install of WebSphere Portal but can't seem to be able to run the GUI installer.

Running xclock as root returns this error:
Error: Can't open display:
Running xhost returns this:
xhost: unable to open display ""

As far as my very limited knowledge of Linux goes, I don't have to export display while connecting from an Ubuntu client (never had to do that connecting to AIX and some others). So I think it's something on the server side that needs to be configured or run... Your help would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Run on ubuntu

xhost +yoursusehostname[\icode]

That way, Suse machine will be added as allowed to connect to ubuntu's X server.
If you don't want to export display use encapsulationssh -Y user@yoursusemachine

---------- Post updated at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:25 AM ----------

Run on ubuntu

xhost +yoursusehostname[\icode]

That way, Suse machine will be added as allowed to connect to ubuntu's X server.
If you don't want to export display use encapsulationssh -Y user@yoursusemachine

Thanks for the response!
Now, connecting to the SuSE server as myself (using my username) allows me to run xclock.
However, when I sudo to root (sudo bash) the display error is back (Error: Can't open display:).
I'm connecting from home network (behind a wireless router so my IP address is a standard 192.168.x.x) using this command:

ssh -Y -i <private_rsa_key> <username@<susehostname>

After connecting I can run xclock and see it working on my Ubuntu desktop. Now, sudo to root:

sudo bash

and the xclock returns the "Can't open display:" error. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

After su-in into root try run :

export XAUTHORITY=/home/username/.Xauthority

Where username is the one you used for initial ssh connection.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

Hello Peasant and thanks again for the reply.
No luck though - Can't open display: error after exporting XAUTHORITY...
:wall:

Please post exact commands you are running and their output, since i cannot replicate the issue.

Regards
Peasant.

voi@VoiT400:~$ ssh -Y -i ISSLCloud_private.com_rsa idcuser@<hostname>
Last login: Mon Jun 25 23:12:48 2012 from <home_router_broadcast_ip>
idcuser@<shorthostname>:~> xclock
idcuser@<shorthostname>:~> sudo bash
<shorthostname>:/home/idcuser # xclock
<shorthostname>:/home/idcuser # export XAUTHORITY=/home/idcuser/.Xauthority
<shorthostname>:/home/idcuser # xclock
<shorthostname>:/home/idcuser #