Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends,

If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD.

Thank you.

Any Unix or Linux will be fine.

It is up to you.

1 Like

Dear Neo,

You are right but there are differences exist between Redhat and Slackware in following:

• Package management
  • Path of starting scripts

Above differences are acceptable those would not confuse anybody while using Slackware and Redhat but if there is anything that creates more differences between Slackware & Redhat in level of different configuration than I think one may get confused.

Thank you

If you want to learn RedHat try out Fedora - fare more alike.
SuSE I can't tell, but if you assume it is like OpenSuSE (which I think it is) try openSuSE.
I can't see any reason to use SlackWare to learn RedHat or SuSE - I use my knowledge from Ubuntu in SlackWare but not every thing holds up, you need to get the closest to the OS as you can so try either Fedora or OpenSuSE is my advice.
As you say your self the differences between SlackWare and the two other may be to big for you

But Neo is right you can use all distros

1 Like

Dear Looop,

My intend is to learn Linux not any particular distribution so I have selected Slackware meanwhile as a precautionary step I had asked those queries to be clear where one should not be confused at any movement by using different distributions.

Anyhow I have started to use Slackware; it is fine to me.

Thanks to all for your support.