HELP changing file permissions

does anyone know how to write a script that will change file permissions. because the Admin blocked me from altering any of my files im only allowed to read and i heard a script like this can bypass it but i dont know how to write it.

Display current users. Display user Ids only.

Display current process. Prompt the user to check all processes or a specific process. If the user selects all processes, display all process to the screen. If the user selects a specific user, display only those user processes.

Display a listing of the user�s directory and allow permission changes. Prompt the user to change filer permissions (y/n). If yes, prompt the user for the file name. Display the file�s permission. Ask the user to enter the add or remove the following permission: read the user, write user, execute user, read group, write group, execute group, read other, write other and execute other. After file permissions have been changed, display the file�s new permissions.

Display an alphabetized list of the users currently on the system.

This seems to me like a violation, sorry if I have not understood that properly. Why should an admin block access, any reason behind that?

well its kinda personal between me and him. its been an ongoin beef since the beginning of the school year. basically he tried to test my skills and i managed to get into his system so he made all my file read only and i have a program due tomorrow so i cant edit it since he made all my files read only.

This situation is kind of tricky, I will leave it to the mods/admins for the follow up.

[warn] this reply may or may not answer your question

Since read-access is available copy of the existing scripts should be possible to a temp location ( /tmp ) or atleast to user's home directory provided 'x' permission on directories that contain required files is not ceased by the admin.

In that case, a copy of the required file can be taken and still be edited as before.

you read my mind. that was the exact same thing i did. it didnt work at all. like this guy is good. and he has alot of experience under his belt. so its difficult. i tried using some1 else unix account but no one wants to be held accountable for my actions.

What didn't work? - copying the required files to a temp folder

Does that mean 'x' permission on directory was ceased?

Why wouldn't your friends want to help you? There is more to this that you are telling. If you have violated some school policy on computer access then you have to deal with the consequences. A SysAdmin would not do this sort of stuff because you had a disagreement. If you feel this 'abuse' is unwarranted you should go to his manager or some school official and tell them that he is prohibiting you from doing your class assignments. You pay a tuition and part of that tuition goes to time allowed on the computer to do your assignments.

its not they dont wanna help, but in their position i doubt they wanna loose everything they worked for so i can settle a score with the admin. i didnt violate any school policy what so ever. me an the admin got in an arguement during the tech club, he got mad, he deleted my hard drives remotely, and i retaliated and sent him a virus thru his wifi connection. so stopping me from finishing my final is his last resort, and im not gonna be a bitch about it and complain to the school, im gonna dig it out with him. simple as that.

I believe the thread is going off-track and feel that its going to be closed by Mods/Admins

i understand what your saying, but no one is available as of now on here to help me out. so i guess im gonna have to brute force a unix account in order to get what i need done. but im not counting on that idea to work.

From our rules:

"(12) These are not hacker boards so hacker related posts will be promptly deleted or moderated."

This thread has crossed that line, so I will close it.