Help about create backup of SCO openserver 5.0.7

hi guys
im beginner in unix and have many problem with this.
i have one old machine that Sco unix OpenServer 5.0.7 installed on it.
i wana backup from all partition of hard disk and restore it on another unix machine. how can i do that ?
thing like hard to hard for windows !!!
i only know how to login in root no more. plz help me
its very important for me

The first question is do you have a backup device, for example a tape drive? Or are you proposing to transfer the backup directly over the network?

You will probably experience driver issues because the new hardware will not be the same as the old (which will take some sorting out). Anyway, the main thing is to get a good backup if you're nervous about losing data. I'd take two backups just to be sure.

I've always found that on SCO Unix cpio is the utility to use rather than tar if you want to restore the entire system and then boot from it. (Tar doesn't backup device nodes (/dev/<whatever>) properly on some SCO versions.)

It might help if we knew what hardware you have in the old machine and what hardware is in the new machine and if the new machine already has UNIX installed.

hi guys and thanks for ur answer
i have one too old machine i think its i386 maybe.
in fact i have one program installed on this machine that i wana copy it to another machine.
my new machine runing on vmware and correct work.
in fact i wana move that program and data and user file from that machine to this machine.
note: i installed sco openserver5.0.7 on vmware machine and it work perfect.
thank you

Hi farzad
I think you need

1. tape drive and tape
  2. Boot and Root floppy disk
  3. start your computer with boot&root

then insert command dd forBackup(for restore : after start with boot&root use dd command acording restore).If you are Iranian for more information call me:09183642183

thank you for ur hrlp

i access boot and root, and have floppy drive instaleed on it
and enable network adapter Successful.
what command may i use ?

Since you only want to copy specific files, you can use 'tar' to copy to whatever removable device you have common to both systems. The following command will make multiple diskette archives if necessary. The device names are listed in /etc/default/tar.

tar ctvf device_name list_of_files_to_copy

and 
tar xvf device_name
to restore

If you have network cards in both machines, you could use ftp. The ftp server starts automatically in multi user mode.

thank you.
i have access to network in both side
with which command i can copy full user and program that installed on matchine to another ? tnx very much for ur help

From the new machine:

#ftp old_machine
>root password
>cd /whereever
>get filename
>mget *.files
>quit
#mv received file to correct location
#chmod files to correct permissions

To move a user account use the following, on the old machine run

#ap -d user >/tmp/user.data

Then ftp /tmp/user.data to the new machine

#ap -r -f /tmp/user.dat 

to restore the user data.
This does not create or copy the user's home directory, but it does copy the password and gives the user the same uid on both machines.

1 Like

can i access unix file and folder in windows ?

---------- Post updated at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:16 PM ----------

whats mean :
#ftp old_machine

old machine mean user or mean hostname ?

host name.
Yes you can use a windows ftp client as well.
Just turn off translation, assuming that you are going to copy the files back to the new SCO system.

if hostname of two machine is same, we have proble ?
that is work ?

no problem. ftp to the ip address.

1 Like

If you used the same license on both machines and they are both on the same subnet one of them may shutdown.

1 Like

in fact i really need to create full backup of my HDD
sombody offer me to use clonezilla for make clone hdd.
its true ? its may work when i restore clone in vmware sco unix ?