Hardware issue advice

Hi all,

I've got an issue with my PC and was wondering what you thought might be the issue.

The problem manifests it'self in two ways (at least I'm assuming it's related).

1. I turn the power on at the wall and press the on button, but nothing happens. I have to wait for several seconds to minutes before the button works.

2. The PC will suddenly turn off. Every thing will look fine then suddenly, bang, all off, just the sound of the fans winding down.

It's definitely not an OS issue. The turning off has happened during the POST and with a Linux live disc running.

My thoughts are that it's probably a PSU issue but I've not ruled out motherboard or anything else as yet.

I don't think it's a heat issue as the turning off can take anything from seconds to hours to happen.

What do you guy's think?

Any advice is most appreciated.

Probably a PSU issue, sounds like the sort of problem you get when electrolytic capacitors start leaking. It would be worth checking that you haven't got a problem with your wall socket or your mains lead but otherwise try a new PSU.

1 Like

I agree, it's probably a power supply issue. It's possible that you've got a flaky motherboard but power still sounds more likely.

1 Like

Sounds like a faulty on/off switch.

Might be a bad/loose mains power lead.