Hands On Learning - AIX

Hi all,

I am interested in your opinions of the best way to get hands-on security experience with AIX. I am proficient with most linux flavors on intel, but need to get familiar with AIX.

Any ideas on how to get some hands-on without lumping out $4Gs for a used RS/6000?

Thanks
EW

try less than $200 for a workstation on eBay ... don't know about the licensing issues with the OS but you can definitely get the hardware cheaply ... most likely with the OS already installed ...

I am not familiar with the various models available. Could you provide some specifics on the equipment you would suggest?

It must run recent versions of AIX.

I noticed that the OS license goes with the equipment when sold. Do you think that includes upgrades?

Thanks
EW

the specs don't really matter too much --- in my opinion --- if you're still in the learning stage ... search for "aix" on ebay under "computers and networking" and you can see what they have on there that your money can play with ...

IBM's OS licenses don't usually include upgrades unless I'm remembering wrong ...

if you want to receive cd's from ibm with new ml's or new versions, then that will require a software maintenance subscription. if you are just interested in keeping your version of aix current, then you should be able to download the updates and apply them as necessary