GUI for RHEL5 on low memory system

I've got RHEL5 running in CLI mode on a powerful workstation. It was a Pentium Pro 200 Mhz, but was upgraded to the new Pentium II Overdrive 333 Mhz chip. This machine has 128 MB of RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9250.

RHEL5 runs fine in 128 MB in CLI mode. It won't run in GUI mode however, and I can't blame it, I wouldn't even want to attempt Gnome or KDE with only 128 MB.

Does anyone know if there's a light weight GUI that will work with RHEL5? Xfce or Windowmaker or something like that? I'd prefer it to be available via a Yum repo, so I don't have to maintain it separately from the rest of the installed software.

try configuring the system to use mwm (motif window manager, old school).

whats wrong with using the command line? with such low resources, I would not try to use a gui. If you insist, maybe you want to try something that uses less resources. I hear puppy Linux is suppose to work on minimum resources.

Some of my apps like DOSBOX require a running X server.

RHEL5 runs fine in low resources. Total consumed memory of this RHEL5 system is 28 megabytes, and that includes sendmail and apache. This leaves 100 MB free which ought to be more than enough for X and a light weight WM.

When I had to use X on a 128MB PIII machine, I used Fluxbox. DOSbox and the like ran fine.

The difference is startling. With 128MB and Gnome I couldn't run GIMP in the remaining memory. With 128MB and Fluxbox, I could compile GIMP in the remaining memory.

Fluxbox does not give you a file browser, however!

With ~100 MBs I would choose twm or Enlightment running on top of TinyX... or run the X server remotely.

Remote X is probably not good enough for games. It's difficult to hardware-accelerate that.

I have the sneaking suspicion he wants to use his own display, anyway.

I bet someone has managed to hack a solution for hardware accelerated remote X.

I was amazed when I discovered mplayer ASCII video support; I have no idea why anyone would even bother implementing such functionality but it is there.