GUI builder advice needed ......

Hello all,

I need to develop an application that would be used as a simulator to test various custom algorithms. As I have never embarked on this kind of work, I need some advice:

1. Which GUI library to use in Linux, GTK+ or FLTK? The simulator application needs to output various non-standard GUI widgets like time line plots, various graphs like trees, bar charts, pie charts etc. The input from the user can also be visual, for example the user must be able to draw small circles or rectangles or arrows, drag to move these to a new location, expand/contract them etc. I guess these won't come already built-in, meaning, I will be coding them. In such a case which of the libraries would be easier? Or is there any library that has these non-standard features already built-in?

2. C or C++? I have experience in C, however not much in C++. For the kind of application mentioned above which would offer a better, meaning, a more intuitive and flexible means of programming?

3. Does Linux have the equivalent of dll files as in Windows?

Thanks.

You may also want to look at Qt or wxWidgets

I believe the one you are more comfortable with.

Yes, they are called shared objects files and with the extension .so

Thanks for your input, i will look into Qt or wxWidgets.

On a lighter note, which language would me more relevant in the Linux/Unix industry, C or C++? I only have academic programming experience in Linux using C.