grub> promt when installing Solaris 11

Hi,

I am trying to install Solaris 11 to my new Intel DN2800MT motherboard with an integrated Intel Atom D2800 CPU.

I am installing the OS using an USB image downloaded from Oracle web site (e.g. Oracle Solaris 11 Downloads) and prepared using the Solaris usbcopy utility.

When I select to boot from the USB stick, the machine displays a prompt prefixed with "grub>" and only allows me to run a few (about twenty) commands - cat, find, setup, install, splashimage, and other. It does not even allow me to do ls, or format, or fdisk, or installgrub - I cannot even find out the identifiers of available hard drives.

Using the same steps, I installed the same system on another machine a week ago without any problems.

Could you tell me what the problem might be and how to solve it?

Thank you in advance,
Dusan

Perhaps a wrong setting in the BIOS or maybe no hard drives are being seen by Solaris; I don't know.

If I was doing it I'd consider throwing on a different O/S ( Linux or Windows ) to see if that failed with a more meaningful error.

Also, if the machine that you installed before was exactly the same hardware, compare both sets BIOS settings.

The other machine had a completely different HW.

I tried using a Xubuntu 11.10 Live USB stick using the Universal USB installer (Universal USB Installer � Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux) and it booted correctly into the Xubuntu desktop manager.